Superworm breeding FAIL =[

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapNYC

Its supposedly very simple you just get adult super worms and separate them in individual containers with no food until them become red Beatles. then put them in a container with a big hide spot thats dark because they like to breed in the dark im guessing? anyway this is my first try at this and one of the worms got extremely dark and EXTREMELY SMELLY. soooo either its turning into a beetle or its dead. let me know some tips and can someone teach me how to breed wax worms? their food is just plain oatmeal. and the moister i use the cricket gell stuff thats yellow because it says its good for all feeder insects

434fa8ce.jpg

91b47dca.jpg

here it is compared to a regular living worm im about to feed to my dragons

09d64f9d.jpg

That one is dead just throw it out. All you need to do is isolate them and keep them in the dark and they should turn into beetles in about 2 weeks. First they turn into a pupa whick looks like an alien then they turn into a beetle. Then put them in a bin with oatmeal or bran and give them carrots for moisture and either put them into a new bin every 2 weeks or look on youtube and build a superworm breeding filter. Thats what I did and it worked. Be paitent you might not see the babies for a month or two.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
johnnyd5844":2i0noo3p said:
or look on youtube and build a superworm breeding filter.

Oooh thank you for that I never would have thought about that. It would make my breeding set up much easier.

To OP. Yes second picture is a dead one throw it out. Third picture- Looks like it is dying too. They should start curling up into a C shape but should keep on looking fairly... alive-like until they start turning into the alien form. What is the ventilation and temps of the isolated worms?

Sorry I have no experience breeding waxworms so I can't give advice but im sure your friendly neighboorhood http://www.google.com could help you.

-Brandon

SnapNYC

Original Poster
well i dont know how they survive in the first place isolated and with no food. but apparently thats how they go into metamorphosis. so now the question is how do i prevent them from dying before they turn into aliens

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You need to start off by only isolating the biggest worms of the bunch, not the small ones. They still need good air circulation so make sure that enough air can get to them. They will morph on their own since it's in their nature to morph during times of stress or famine.

-Brandon

Trogdorpheus

Juvie Member
There's no way to prevent them from dying when you're trying to force them to turn into beetles. Some die, some make it, that's just the way mother nature made it.

claudiusx":3u8dnrj7 said:
Yes second picture is a dead one throw it out. Third picture- Looks like it is dying too

Third picture is the same dead worm as the second.

VogueStar

johnnyd5844":cgeblp41 said:
youtube and build a superworm breeding filter.
Kudos! I never even thought about doin this and its great idea!! I tried breeding supers before and gave up because it wasnt working. [Of course when I breed mealies they breed just fine, but I dunt want them! :x ] Now that Ive got this info I will definitely be trying to breed supers again!! Super Thx!! :blob8: :blob8: :blob8:

simpleman

Hatchling Member
black ones are dead and yes they smell like sh*&.......you seem to have it under control, just takes patience...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Why are you posting this in so many sections lol? Its hard to keep track of all the replys if there are 3+ threads to keep checking.

-Brandon

SnapNYC

Original Poster
because nobody was replying and i didnt know if the worm was dead or about to morph into something. i needed a response quick because i had like three dead ones and the smell is unexplainable. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

SnapNYC

Original Poster
How many superworms can be born at once? how many does one beetle lay? lets say you have 20 beetles doin it then how many superworms are expected

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
It varies, Ive gotten sereral hundred worms with 40 beattles, and Ive gotten a thousand or so from the same number of beattles. Supper breed slow. From beattle to usable worm is about 3 to 4 months. Ounce you have a system in place its just maintaining it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom