supers for a 9" beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

babytrees

I'd like to give my little girl some supers, since I have sooo many and my boy can't eat that much on his own. lol

Awhile back, my brother and I were messing with the supers, dissected one, and gave her some of the "insides" and she just LOVED them.
Now what I'm wondering... would it be okay if I were to cut them up for her, or is she still too small? (9")
I know that for feeding them full, they should be at least 16" long due to their digestive tract but I'm unsure about them being cut up.
I tried dissecting one by myself to give her the insides, but I gave up after the first lengthwise cut when the worm started squirming and I imagined it crying in pain.

I was thinking of using the freshly shed ones, there are usually quite a few every day. I figured they would be a bit softer?!

side note: She hates wax worms and other worms are too expensive for me right now. besides meal worms, but those gross me out for some reason. hahahaha

my beardies LOVE supers!! I give them one or two every now and then as a treat but I don't feed them as a staple. If you decide to let your beardie have some just don't over do it.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
You are right, supers are not good for beardies under 16inches. Even if you cut them up the chitin is still too hard for them to digest easily until they are more fully grown. I am not sure about fresh shed worms though. I would be interested in others views on fresh shed supers cut in half for smaller dragons.

babytrees

Original Poster
just a follow up:

I have been feeding her the freshly shed ones. Cut up of course, and it's been about a month now and there hasn't been a problem yet. I'm making to sure to grab the smallest, whitest ones. She seems to love them, so hopefully with 4 more inches of growth she can have some full size ones. She is 13" now but I'd like to keep it on the safe side. I give it a few months until she is big enough. She's growing like a weed!

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
I have a 13 inch beardie myself and I was going to pick him up some supers until his next phoenix worm shipment gets here. If I cut them in half, will they be okay?

babytrees

Original Poster
I wouldn't give my beardie a "hard shelled" worm. I'd rather keep it safe until they are large enough. The freshly shed ones are the ONLY superworms that Radley will be eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom