super worms for juvenile beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
mafoo":23gt8mve said:
ill just dig out the really small super worms untill i have nothing left but big ones. also to keep feeding these to a minimum im gonna just feed it crickets and then hopefully my super worms will turn into a beetle and i can throw them out without my mom freaking out. i asked her about reptiworms today and she said not untill the super worms are gone so ill just wait till then or hopefully she changes her mind.

How big is your beardie? How many inches, and do you know the weight?

mafoo

Original Poster
i havent weighed him yet and dont have anything i can use to weigh him but he is about 6-8 inches and hes still pretty skinny so he wouldnt weigh much. he looks normal though so i think hes a normal size, but i havent seen other bearded dragons. right now hes clawing at the glass and trying to get out or something! i might need to get him a bigger tank sooner then i thought so he can run around a bit and isnt so crammed. right now i have him in a temporary 10 gallon tank since thats all i have, but i will be getting him a 40 gallon just idk when.

bltkpo

Juvie Member
I can understand your pain, being Canadian.

Our local pet store SOMETIMES get in Silkworms. But it's rare. And they go fast. And they are getting harder for them to acquire. They really don't make it easy to keep beardies here. So, we are stuck on crickets.

Oddly enough, Bindy is 16 inches, and we tried him on supers.. and he is SO not fussed. He notices them in his dish, eats one or two, and backs away. If we hold one out to him he is more likely to close his eyes in disdain than actually eat one. But he eats his crix like they're going out of style.

Anyway depending on which province you are in, in Canada, I know of reptiworms in Alberta, and in Ontario. Just have to be careful, cause as it gets colder, it will be harder to ship because the bugs can not handle the cold temperature.

mafoo

Original Poster
ya being canadian is kinda hard when it comes to reptiles. i live in alberta to so may i ask what city you live in so i know where to get silkworms? just so i know where to check if im in that area. ill be ordering my phoenix worms/repti worms from www.bugorder.com since there in edmonton so its close to me. and dont they use heat packs for shipping in the winter? i know canadian feeders used heat packs.

my bearded dragon seemed to really enjoy the supers, i dropped them in there and he jumped for them and chewed them up. he likes crickets but doesnt go for them like he does the worms, just im not feeding him them to much since i dont want him to get impacted or anything bad. just wondering but when there young how often should i take my bearded dragon out? every time i do hes so curious and runs everywhere and im scared hes gonna get lost since hes still small. maybe he will get calmer after a few times of taking him out?

i was also told that they grow slower if there in a small tank, and this worrys me because i want him to get as big as he can as fast as he can and right now hes in a 10 gallon like i said earlier. im gonna be looking for a bigger tank because he needs one anywase, just i gotta find a deal somewhere as i already spent a ton of money on this guy.

bltkpo

Juvie Member
mafoo":2nljww8d said:
ya being canadian is kinda hard when it comes to reptiles. i live in alberta to so may i ask what city you live in so i know where to get silkworms? just so i know where to check if im in that area. ill be ordering my phoenix worms/repti worms from http://www.bugorder.com since there in edmonton so its close to me. and dont they use heat packs for shipping in the winter? i know canadian feeders used heat packs.

my bearded dragon seemed to really enjoy the supers, i dropped them in there and he jumped for them and chewed them up. he likes crickets but doesnt go for them like he does the worms, just im not feeding him them to much since i dont want him to get impacted or anything bad. just wondering but when there young how often should i take my bearded dragon out? every time i do hes so curious and runs everywhere and im scared hes gonna get lost since hes still small. maybe he will get calmer after a few times of taking him out?

i was also told that they grow slower if there in a small tank, and this worrys me because i want him to get as big as he can as fast as he can and right now hes in a 10 gallon like i said earlier. im gonna be looking for a bigger tank because he needs one anywase, just i gotta find a deal somewhere as i already spent a ton of money on this guy.

I am near Lethbridge. The pet store I go to is called Homes Alive. It's a mom and pop shop. Really friendly, helpful, and somewhat knowledgable. All their reptile experts are owners. One girl has about 20 snakes. Their main guy, who does all the bug ordering, has many different reptiles. They're not always 100% right, but I would take their word, over pet smarts word, any day.

Their silk and horn worms aren't often though. They haven't had any in for over a month. Last time we spoke to the guy, he said he is having trouble getting them. They do carrie waxies, butters, supers and meal worms though. And sometimes reptiworms, but apparently they don't sell well, are expensive to get in.. ect.

I did venture into bugorder.com; but I was peeved at their ordering system. It seemed a bit archaic. I am not sure on their shipping methods, because I cancelled the order. The cost was incredibly crazy; for shipping and such. I couldn't see the benefit. Plus they apparently turn into these nasty flywasp things that kinda made me nervous. I can understand if you can buy small quantities, and not pay for shipping.. but otherwise. Blah. We wouldn't use them up in time I think.

On taking our your dragon; When Bindy was small we hesitated on taking him out too.. but we really kept his roaming area small and controlled. We'd stuff blankets under the couch so he wouldn't go under, and make sure we kept a super close eye on him. His favourite place to go was under the TV stand in and amongst all the wire. Just have a controlled environment, and keep an eye on your beardie. They tend to go for dark, quite places for a snooze :p Just don't turn away!

mafoo

Original Poster
always when i take him out im either playing with him or just petting him and watching what he does. the only thing im scared of is he tends to make a run for it and gets very excited when he sees my other animals. i just dont want him to get in a place i cant get him out of or if i lose him. today i noticed hes more used to me as my 5 year old nephew was over and he was nervous to be around more then 1 person but he came to me when he got scared so thats a sign that he is comfortable around me.

i never realised that bugorder.com charged alot for shipping, i thought itd be cheap since im close by and live in rocky mountain house. i might give it a try for my beardies sake, just cause i really dont like crickets and super worms and i dont think he does either. for the phoenix worms turning into flys, i think you just have to keep them in a wine cooler and there good for months according to what some people have said.

if im ever in that area ill probably check out that pet store and pick up some worms but it is far away from me but i go to edmonton a bit so i should get a chance. i think i will be good from here on, ill just stop with the superworms and stick to crickets till i get some better worms, hopefully phoenix worms.

bltkpo

Juvie Member
Well, best of luck to you!

That's cute, you're beardie ran to you. Bindy still runs from everyone. He made it all the day down the longer hallways into the foreboding dark entrance one day with my sister chasing after him. Made us all laugh. :)

Yeah, I was shocked at the shipping costs. They don't make it easy on us. I wonder if you live close enough, that pick up could be an option??

mafoo

Original Poster
ya my beardie already loves me, he crawls right ontop of me when he wants to say hi and hes even starting to do the arm wave thing, its really cool since he doesnt do it all the way but he just lifts his arm up and lets it hang there. bearded dragons sure do some cool things! and for the phoenix worms, i might just pick some up when im in edmonton. grab them in large quantities and keep em in a cooler so they dont turn into bugs or die. well thanks for the help, hopefully i see you around the forum some time! its good to know that there is somebody else that lives in canada with me and are in the same province!

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
Do you know what kind of maggots that bait shop has? REptiworms are just the maggots of the black soldier fly. I don't see how maggots could hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom