super worms for juvenile beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mafoo

today i decided that instead of giving my beardie crickets id do some sort of worm. i just got this guy yesterday and hes about 6 inches or so. today i gave him 2 super worms and he seemed to love them since he jumped to them and started eating, but can superworms hurt him? the ones i got at the pet store were small ones and they had bigger ones there to, so i of course went for the smaller. im feeding him this pellet food and some greens but would it be ok to continue feeding them super worms? i want to finish this package of super worms and i think its a 100 pack but is there anything to really worry about for feeding them to him? also how much and how often do i feed him? if super worms dont work could i possibly feed him nightcrawlers as a staple or should i go with crickets?

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
superworms should only be given to dragons who are at least sixteen inches in length. Until then their digestive system isn't really able to digest the shells of the worms. If you want to stick with a kind of worm you can try reptiworms or silkworms.

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
^ Ditto. Supers given too young can cause impation which can cause them to die. Stick with softer bodied feeders.

mafoo

Original Poster
i cant get silkworms or any other worm then nightcrawlers and super worms in my area and i dont want to deal with crickets. could i just use nightcrawlers? ive heard that they got to much water in them for the bearded dragons but im still unsure about them. ill stick with the crickets for a bit instead of giving the superworms but now i dont know what to do with the ones that i wont use :|

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
Don't feed earthworms the slime they put off has caused issues that I have heard. To get the GOOD feeders you have to order online.

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
yes ordering online is definitely the way to go. You can order in bulk which will save you a lot of money

mafoo

Original Poster
damn, i geuss im stuck with crickets or i can try reptiworms but i live in canada so even those are hard to get and idk how shipping will be all the way here. how big of crickets do you think? i have firebelly toads and they eat 3 week old crickets but the pet store owner said to give 4 weeks old to juvinile bearded dragons, but she was wrong with the superworms to so i aint putting any faith into that. i think my beardie is 8 inches long including the tail so you have an idea of how big he is

mafoo

Original Poster
ill just keep feeding them the ones i feed my frogs since there about that size. thanks for the help

Cath1068

Do you have a super walmart in your area ? The reason I ask is cuz in the fishing department they carry butterworms which are an excellent soft bodied worm. Mine sells them in cups of 20. They will be in the cooler where they keep live bait..... :D

mafoo

Original Poster
Cath1068":20ogstiz said:
Do you have a super walmart in your area ? The reason I ask is cuz in the fishing department they carry butterworms which are an excellent soft bodied worm. Mine sells them in cups of 20. They will be in the cooler where they keep live bait..... :D
the walmart near me doesnt have any live baits and any other stores that do carry them, only have nightcrawlers,maggots and trout worms. im thinking of ordering phoenix worms since theres a place near me that sells live insects. ill search around more for butterworms since they sound like they would be good though

mafoo

Original Poster
so i have decided to order phoenix worms since i can feed them to my bearded dragon and my frogs so itll work out good and hopefully i can stay away from crickets then. is 1/2" long a good size to go? the place ill be getting them from only sells that size so should i try and get them to grow or just feed them the way they come?

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
I feed both my juveniles small and medium superworms, and never once had an impaction issue. One of them is 15" long at 5 months, and the other is 14" long at 4 months. Depending on the size of your juvie, you can feed small superworms, but start off at 5. Sometimes they will pig too much on them, and throw them back up.

mafoo

Original Poster
ill just dig out the really small super worms untill i have nothing left but big ones. also to keep feeding these to a minimum im gonna just feed it crickets and then hopefully my super worms will turn into a beetle and i can throw them out without my mom freaking out. i asked her about reptiworms today and she said not untill the super worms are gone so ill just wait till then or hopefully she changes her mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom