Super Worm Breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolo1

I am about 8 months into the process of breeding my own Super Worms for my (2) dragons. I have read a few methods and followed the guide lines.
Substrate: Oatmeal, bran, Baby cereal, Corn Meal cousre ground togther.
Housing: Rubber Maid Sweater box or some call it a Shoe Box (Homedepot) well vented and secure.
Moisture: Every other day Sliced Potato or 5-6 Baby Carrots
Temp: between 70'-85'F depending how how cold or hot the Day/Night
The worms are doing great all thriving and growing big as they can get hardly any dead. i only choose the largest of the worms to phase into Beetles. this part took a little over a month the first time, but that was fine a phased about (150) some died along the way so i came out with about (100) beetles, divided them into (3) boxes. Changed the Potato and Carrots at the same time as i would for the worms and they lived for a good while. every couple of day i remove the dead beetles if any and every 2 weeks or so i removed all beetles into a new substrate. As for boxes that had the eggs I place sliced Potato and kept warm but a month later no baby worms!!! what did i not do? or what else can i do?

So i tried again but this time i decided to use my incubator and put about 75 Lrg worms at 80'F and they turned to "aliens" in about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 weeks fast. i thought that was cool, so i divided them and took care as normal but now they died in about a 2weeks all of them almost at the same time?!? i could see the females laying eggs in the substrate but its been three weeks and no signs of baby worms.

I dont think i will be incubating any more worms but i would like to have Super Worms as a feeder. any help would be great!

hartungs

Hatchling Member
I know where you are coming from. I had a colony of mealworms and a colony of superworms. The superworms took much longer to breed and grow. Just be patient. You may feel like you are just looking at a bunch of substrate with nothing in it, but they are there. Just be patient. Keep doing what you are doing and they will show up. One day you will look at the substrate and it will ALL be moving. Just keep doing what you are doing. It sounds like you have the "method" down...

Rolo1

Original Poster
ok cool i for awile i though i was just wasting potato... but coool i will wait it out. thanks

Rolo1

Original Poster
the search box type in Super Worm and you should find a complete guide to breeding super worms. this is how i got started. i think it was writen by (hondapower) or something like that.

I ground up the substrate coarse so the worm maybe can feed better.

I add the potato as soon has i take the bettles out becuase they need moisture so i thought but i could be wrong. Maybe some reading thi spost will be able to answer this question for the both of us.

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
keep them warm

slice your potatoes and change them daily or every other

grind the oatmeal or cornmeal so they are easier to sift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom