Super Skinny Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTRM30

Hatchling Member
I just saw another post regarding high blood sugar in beardies - you may want to check it out and see what they've been doing. My dog is diabetic and her symptoms were very similar to what you are describing. Increased thirst, lethargy, loss of muscle and muscle tone, loss of weight. Which, if untreated, does lead to blindness, organ damage and failure. :(
Just thought you may want to check out that post though - can't hurt to try, right ?

primasilva

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice :)

After looking at the thread, I don't think it's high blood sugar - I've never given her dry food, her eyes aren't red and puffy like that person's, she doesn't have weird red patches, and she hasn't been bloated.

I also contacted Drache613, so hopefully she can suggest some miracle cure.

Now that I've been force feeding her the emergency diet from the vet, she has perked up a little bit and doesn't look quite as dehydrated. Fingers crossed that I can save my baby!

timpug

I'm so sorry to hear about your beardie. We have a rescue that we are trying to save. She is also super skinny and getting her to eat is a challenge-- mainly done by hand with an eye dropper.

I wanted to comment about your UVB situation. You mentioned you are thinking of getting an Arcadis because you can put it inside the tank. I just purchased a Reptisun 10.0 UBV bulb and I put it inside the tank. It just hangs inside the tank on 2 wires and you can adjust how high or low you wish it to hang. The balast etc is all external to the tank. Its called a "GLO" and it fits T8, T10 and T12 bulbs. It is distributed by Rolf C Hagen Inc, Montreal, QC H4R 1E8 in Canada, Rolf C. Hagen (USA) Corp., Mansfield, MA 02048, Rolf C. Hagen (UK), Castleford, W. Yorkshire WF10 5QH

Wishing you the best for your Beardie.
Warm regards
Timpug

primasilva

Original Poster
MsWanda10166":rtekjt5m said:
As for what I feed them that they love the most, is cactus pad, you can order from Amazon, and then just stick in a bucket of dirt outside, and within a month I already have pads shooting off.
What kind of cactus pad is it? Prickly pear? That one looks the least spiky!
timpug":rtekjt5m said:
I just purchased a Reptisun 10.0 UBV bulb and I put it inside the tank. It just hangs inside the tank on 2 wires and you can adjust how high or low you wish it to hang. The balast etc is all external to the tank. Its called a "GLO" and it fits T8, T10 and T12 bulbs. It is distributed by Rolf C Hagen Inc, Montreal, QC H4R 1E8 in Canada, Rolf C. Hagen (USA) Corp., Mansfield, MA 02048, Rolf C. Hagen (UK), Castleford, W. Yorkshire WF10 5QH
Thanks for the info :) I'll keep that fixture in mind for the future! For now, I ended up ordering the Arcadia after speaking with the guy who sells that brand - I got the T5 bulb & hood because they're supposed to be more powerful. He even suggests having it over the screen instead of under because it's so strong.

primasilva

Original Poster
My girl has been getting less skinny and has gotten a bit more energy as I continue to force feed her, but today she had her first seizure in months. I thought she had passed away in my arms, but she recovered once it was over. This is driving me nuts!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear she is doing better now.
How is the HO bulb working out for you, is it on top of your screen top now?
Is she eating more yet? I think she is having a calcium issue though, more than any renal issues.

Tracie

primasilva

Original Poster
Lol, now we have two conversations going, Tracie!

I like the new bulb - it's waaay brighter, and yep, it's on top of the screen. Moxy couldn't care less about it, though. She still lays around looking pathetic 24/7. She has been staring at it more than she did the Reptisun, though, so I added a second halogen bulb on the hot side to try to keep her from blinding herself - and because one wasn't cutting it anymore temp-wise since the T5 hood is smaller and allows more air flow.

She still won't eat on her own. She just looks at the bugs as they wiggle & shrivel in the open air. And she totally ignores her veggies.

The vet said that the ER food should have all the calcium she needs, plus the shot they gave her and the one she'll get on Saturday. But something's obviously gotta be keeping her from absorbing it.

Should I ignore the vet and start force feeding her calcium again, too? Or does anyone know of DIY shots or anything?

timpug

We have a rescue who won't eat on her own. We buy the Repashy savory stew. Its a semi- solid gel and its easy to get down her as no eye dropped is required. She has flourished since we started her on that diet. We are going to try to cut veggies and include them in the gel-- we'll see how that works.

primasilva

Original Poster
Cool, maybe I'll try that!

We went to the vet yesterday, and she was really optimistic this time. My force-feeding skillz have gotten her to gain 20g, so now she's around 73 - she was 50-something. They were able to do a blood test, and her kidneys & liver & calcium/phosphorous levels were all normal. Her glucose was high (probably from stress) and she was anemic & her protein was low (probably from refusing to eat for so long). When they gave her vitamins, they said she started fighting and biting the towel, so she's definitely gaining some energy!

Also, we're about 75% sure that the seizures are NOT calcium-related. She had that one on Tuesday and her calcium is fine, so the vet is leaning towards something neurological.

The CBC will come back tomorrow, and I asked Tracie for an adeno test. Hopefully one of those things will figure out what's wrong.

When I came home yesterday evening, her face was pretty much COVERED in food, so I'm hoping that means she finally ate something on her own!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I will PM you as well. I am happy to hear she has gained some weight. I would love to see the blood test results, too when you get them in.
The new light is bound to help her out though, with the great UVB output & brightness for her. It takes time for them to adjust to new things in & around their tanks, too.
If she is starting to eat on her own then she is definitely feeling better now.
Biting the towel after getting a shot is pretty funny, also. I guess she didn't like it!
Do you have more pictures?

Tracie

primasilva

Original Poster
Well, after all that, Moxy passed away today. She was really weak again yesterday and so-so this morning. I found her today after work.

timpug

OH. I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you. I know from your posts that you cared for her the very best you could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom