super agressive beardie!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjdickey

Juvie Member
Hello,
I just got a new beardie from someone who had him/her ( cant check b/c way too agressive) on craigslist. He/she is really cute. I want to know how to tame him/her without stress for either of us, if at all possible! I lift the screen to go in and she jumps at my hand to bite it. When I do manage to get him/her, He/she squirms to try and bite me all the while with his/her mouth wide open. What can I do? Please help!!

Christy

P.S.

If it is due to trama, will he/she ever get over it?

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Dont worry, you are not the first one to have had to tame your dragon.
Even with the worst behaviour a dragon can be tamed.

Firstly could you please run through your set up with me?
How long have you had your dragon?
What size viv are you using?
What bulb are you using for basking?
What UV bulb are you using?
(please be specific as to brand)
What are the temps? Both basking and coolside?
How are you measuring these temps?

When I first rescued Dex (an adult missing an arm) she had never been handled and was pretty much feral. She bit me, scratched me and hissed at me.
With some patience and a few tricks she turned into the biggest cuddlebug in the world who constantly wanted to sit in my lap and be stroked.

If you have only just rescued this dragon there is a strong likelyhood that he has gone into territorial mode.
It is important to alot of dragons to show dominance and that their viv is THEIR home. No one elses.
I would be inclined not to handle him for at least a week and then start off slow as Ive detailed bellow...

Start putting your hand in her tank, flat but dont touch her. She'll see your not there to grab her. Do this every now and then for a day or so.
Once youve done for a while start only hand feeding her (wriggley worms work best). If she goes to bite you be brave and try not to flinch, just raise your hand up and remove the food. She'll soon learn biting isnt a good idea.

When you try handling her try it an hour or so after lights out when she'll be sleepy and bored of fighting. At this time you can try the 'beardie burrito'. this involves wrapping your beardie in a blanket/towel like a newborn baby and laying them on your chest. If she doesnt like the beardie burito try wearing a dressing gown, alot of beardies enjoy softness. Dexter loved mine.

When you begin to start trying to handle your little one during daytime id get her out, and let her run around near you, like on the bed or on the floor in a room (close the door and make sure all gaps are blocked with cushions/pillows). She'll get used to just being near you and learning that your not big and scary. Also if she runs around exploring she'll tire herself out and so will be more submissive when you finally pick her up.

Remember:
When you go to pick up your beardie do not approach her from the back or the side, this is predatry behaviour and will spook her.
Lay your hand flat in front of her for a few seconds and then slide it underneath her. Once you have picked her up like this yuo can reposition her on your hand.

It can also work wonders to add one of your old tshirts to her tank (make sure you've worn it for an hour or so), as it means she will become used to your smell in a non threatening manner.
When you handle her remember not to smell like food or aftershave.

and repeat!

Although you might end up getting a few scratches as she squirms to run away it is VERY important not to just put her down if she struggles. She will learn that fighting gets her her own way and will make the process longer and harder.

Holly

spyder79

Extreme Poster
first and formost. if your dragon is being that aggressive and you cant bring your hand even close then take something that smells like you such as a glove shirt or something. leave it in the cage for a week or so. that should get the dragon used to your scent (and it will probably end up curling up with the article of clothing so it will equate your scent to comfort). this should aid in calming it down some. then move to the hand in the cage move. then try petting her/him with picking up. then move to holding.

TheSessh25

Congrats, cjdickey, on the new beardie!

And thanks for the great advice, guys! I've got a pretty feral baby and hopefully he'll calm down now that i have some better ideas on how to tame him.

spyder79

Extreme Poster
yeah putting an article of clothing that smells like you in their tank gets them used to your scent and they identify it with comfort. it is a great way to break the ice.

cjdickey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ya know, she is such a BRAT!!! I put my shirt in there after having worn it for a day and all she did was poop on it!! I guess I know where I stand..lol. I definately have my work cut out for me!!! Thanks again!

Christy

cjdickey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
LOL...Did it hurt much? I have been curious but I dont exactly want to stick my finger in her mouth..lol.

Christy

TheSessh25

At his age, his mouth is so small that even though he's biting me he doesn't get a good enough grip to hurt me or cause any damage. However, he'll do a lot of growing in the next couple months and I'd rather he get out of the habit of biting while it's still painless.

Although, he does shock the heck out of you when he strikes. He's quick so even though he's hissing and letting me know he plans to bite, he always surprises me when one minute he's in his cave hissing and the next he's attached to my finger!

AndyAMP88

Hatchling Member
TheSessh25":ad89b said:
Although, he does shock the heck out of you when he strikes. He's quick so even though he's hissing and letting me know he plans to bite, he always surprises me when one minute he's in his cave hissing and the next he's attached to my finger!

I know what you mean, it's not the "bite" that scares me, it's that my hand flinches and reacts and I'm more afraid of my arm hitting the heat lamp dome because that thing is HOT! lol!

ronni1221

Juvie Member
Obviously, this dragon wasn't cared for well by the previous owner... Try wearing gloves when you approach him/her. Just put your hand in there and let it sit. Don't take your hand back when it bites. It has already learned that biting will make the big bad hand go away. It will keep doing this until it finds out that you won't back down because of the biting. I did this with one of my hamsters actually. Just leave your hand in there for 15 min, take the biting (gloves will protect you) and then take it out. Do it everyday. Hopefully, you'll see improvement after a few days.

P.S. Ethelia has awesome dragon-training advice!

cjdickey

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you sooo much for the advice. I have been doing the things yall have told me to do and she is coming around after one week!! She is no longer opening at me when I reach in. She still freaks if I try to pick her up, but I can reach in and stroke her a little. Again thank you !! Don't know what I'd do without this forum and the wonderful people on here!!

Christy

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Its wonderful that you are making progress.
Keep at it and be patient, she will be putty in your hands soon ^_^

Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom