Sunny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delshara

Hatchling Member
We were in a local pet store last Sunday, killing time, and went over to the reptiles section as we usually do. We found this guy in a 40 gallon breeder on the floor, no lights, but glass dancing around with lots of energy and a full black beard. (He had his eye on a female beardie across the room). When I pointed out he didn't have lights, the reptile guy said that he'd just come in - he was dropped off by a customer in a 20 gallon tank. The guy is attempting to rehab two other dragons that were also dropped off... and they didn't have any more room, which was why the bearded dragon was on the floor.

We saw that the dragon really, really needed a home. So we said we would take him. The pet store said we could have him and his 40g tank and furniture for $20.

Sunny is skinny, although we don't see any signs of calcium deficiency. He's 22" and 460 g... just to compare, our other beardie Nero is 19" and 540 g. I think his previous owners kept him on orange sand (ugh) - his feet, belly and the end of his tail are stained. He loves roaches, and I am giving him squash/pea babyfood and daily baths in pedialyte. He won't touch salads or pellets. He's a good pooper - he will have a fecal tomorrow at the vet's. He's really different from Nero in personality. Nero is generally calm and sweet and a lazy lap-lizard. Sunny moves so fast that you have to keep a constant watch on him!

Anyway, here he is:

Photo0497.jpg

Photo0508.jpg

Photo0505.jpg

Photo0503.jpg

And just because, here is Nero, living up to his name because he's hating his shedding beard:

Photo0504.jpg

Any good advice is appreciated. I'm not 100% sure on how to supplement given that Sunny probably needs more nourishment than usual. He's had only one supplemented meal so far (calcium + vitamins). Also, I'm feeding him once a day generally (roaches + babyfood)... I don't know if I should give two meals a day.

Thanks!!

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hey there,

Sunny looks lovely, what a nice addition to the family.

Mixing calcium and vits into the babyfood is always a good trick. Ruben wouldnt touch anything that looked powdery so once a day he would get a "treat" of a dollop of babyfood. Little did he know!

You can also try adding a bit of gazorade with his water, electrolites always help. Try not to overdose him on sugar though ^_^

The orange stains should come off in a shed. I do hate that sand. Have you had a good look at his poop (delightful question i know), is there any sand in it? the non gross way of checking is to put the poop in a jug and blast cold water onto it. it should show if theres any sediment in it. if there is then you can give him a bit of apple sauce or oil to make sure he gets all that junk out of him.

keep us updated x

Delshara

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks! :D Yes, he does like babyfood with the powder... I haven't had much chance to give him that lately though, due to work, but he takes powdered feeders enough that I haven't worried as much as before. He's gained about 50 g in weight since we got him and we'll keep working on that.

I will try the electrolytes in with his water. He drank and drank from his bath on the first day that we got him home, but hasn't drank by himself since. He'll take a dropper of water occasionally but maybe that would help with the taste.

He is an excellent pooper, no sand in it that I can tell but I will also try the cold water spray thing. That'll be interesting!

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
dont worry about him not drinking from his bath anymore. in my experience beardies only do it when they are really thirsty. otherwise they will accept the odd dropper of water with me. my guys get water mixed in with apple/mango juice for their sweet tooths!

Delshara":1f59kvx8 said:
He is an excellent pooper, no sand in it that I can tell but I will also try the cold water spray thing. That'll be interesting!
remember not to hold your face too close to it when your turning on the tap! :laughhard:

lizardgrrl

Sub-Adult Member
Ethelia":2pqmsscg said:
I do hate that sand. Have you had a good look at his poop (delightful question i know), is there any sand in it? the non gross way of checking is to put the poop in a jug and blast cold water onto it. it should show if theres any sediment in it. if there is then you can give him a bit of apple sauce or oil to make sure he gets all that junk out of him.
Holly, I will have to remember this technique,
Ethelia":2pqmsscg said:
remember not to hold your face too close to it when your turning on the tap! :laughhard:
and try to avoid the hazards! :bleick:
:laughhard: :love5:

Hi Delshara!

I'm glad Sunny is doing well for you, 50 g is a good gain in the first month, and his activity level sounds like a bright and curious two year old. I'm so glad to see he found the right home! :laughing6:

:love5:
MaryAnn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom