Suggestions for calcium/D3/vitamins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzyLizzy

Hey, everyone...

I know this has probably been a topic discussed too many times, but I can't seem to find anything helpful (at least along the lines of what I'm looking for) and I'm hoping to get suggestions from people with much more experience than I have.

Anyway, I've got my four-year-old rescued Izzy. Other than a respiratory infection a few months back, she's pretty healthy. The vet even said she was a little chubby, but still healthy.

She mostly eats mustard/collard greens and squash and occasionally zucchini. Crickets a few times a week, maybe 5 or 6 a day.

My question is how often and what kind of supplements should I be giving her? I thought maybe the greens were sufficient enough, but I don't want to chance it on just that. We're having to recover our chameleon from MBD because I honestly didn't research enough on their diet and how much they should be having and I don't want Izzy to go through the same.

I have phosphorus-free calcium (one with D3 and one without) and herptivite multivitamins with beta carotene- all Rep-Cal brands.
Should the calcium with no D3 be daily? Should I be giving her the D3 one? I currently have the compact coiled UVB light. Should I be mixing the multivitamins with her food, as well?
How many times a week? I think I should have some kind of feeding/supplement schedule, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

If anyone can help, and tell me what has worked for you, what I should change, etc. Any help will be appreciated and sorry for the long message.

Thanks.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I would firstly upgrade your UV light. It's much better to rely on UV and the bodies own systems to produce D3 than supplements. I like the T5 UV tubes personally.

I like to use the repashy all in one supplement. It has less D3 than rep-cal and a variety of vitamins as well so it eliminates the need to have a dusting schedule and for my adult I'm more confident he is getting a balance of calcium and vitamins. I dust all his bugs. They also have a vegi supplement - it might be worth considering since right now she has a pretty limited diet, she probably won't be getting balanced nutrition from what she is getting now.

magicmagni

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Jackson
I like the repashy too although there is nothing wrong with rep cal if that it what you have. I second the opinion that you should upgrade your uvb. The coil uvb bulbs have a very small coverage area which doesnt cover the animal very well. There are better choices for a bearded dragon. For 18" bulb to basking distances ir greater the new t5 size bulbs from zoomed are stellar otherwise the t8 size is very good.

A light dusting of plain calcium everyday is fine. Maybe once or twice a week do the d3 and multivitamin on the bugs when you feed them.

The rep cal supplements are very safe and hard to overdo so don't worry except for d3. That can be overdone, but not at the level I am recommending.

Another great general supplement is call dino fuel. It makes a good guy load for bugs but can be added to salads too.

izzyLizzy

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. I'm tweaking her diet a little and also setting up different light fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom