Suddenly protein picky

Status
Not open for further replies.
I (rather my boyfriend and I) have a couple of beardies. The first one (Apollo) was acquired late July the other this past Saturday (Athena). The older male is about 17" (grown like a weed from the baby we got him as). He has been downing crickets like candy along with his salad. We started giving him supers several weeks ago and throw him a mealworm here and there.

The last few days he has not wanted crickets. My boyfriends spoiled him by hand-feeding him (heaven knows he couldn't possibly chase them himself) and we thought he was just being lazy. This morning he flat-out refused his crickets. I thought maybe he was warmed up yet or he was that lazy, so I tested and threw in a super. He flew after it like he never saw something so amazing. Couple more times, same lit up response.

Is it even possible he is not in the 'mood' for crickets? Something else going on? Maybe it is the crickets? Athena gobbled them down without a second glance. This might be interesting if we have to switch his feeder insects every few months out of boredom. :lol: I have a Dubai colony just starting, but it is going to be months before it is ready. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jewl495

Juvie Member
Yes it's possible he's just very tired of crickets and given time he may eat them again. Our new little guy will still eat a couple crickets but after tasting dubias that's what he wants most. Our previous dragon flat out refused crickets also. It seems to be pretty common. I think they just get tired of eating the same things over and over.

Nixiemaiden

Hatchling Member
Mine gives me a hard time with crickets since I started feeding him reptiworms. I was trying to do one feeding with crickets and the second feeding with reptiworms. This lasted for a few days then one day he wouldn't eat his crickets...he just stood in his bin for 15 minutes and there was not one cricket gone. So I put him back in his tank and opened up the reptiworms and he started glass dancing and trying to jump through the glass to get them.

ApolloAthena

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies. It appears I will be ordering some more dubai to get him something more palatable and keep him from eating down the colony. I am debating getting something else too just in case. Silkworms are super pricey though phoenix worms look great (their extra calcium looks amazing, but I am not sure positive how to adjust the dusted calcium with them). I will at least start with the dubai and see how that goes. It seems I have never ending amounts of insects around the house already. (though what are a few hundred or thousands more going to do really? :wink: )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
617781l
Top Bottom