Sudden change in behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggiedragon

I have a 3 year old male bearded dragon. Got him at 2 years old from a reptile rescue.
About 2 months ago, he stopped eating veggies and only ate a few roaches. Started sleeping a lot during the day, and I thought this was probably brumation. He didn't poop for 2 months, despite lots of attempts to feed unsweetened applesauce, baby food, and warm baths with tummy rubs. He finally pooped last week, two days in a row, and were pretty solid poops (could see some dubia shells). Since then, he has suddenly changed behavior and has been very active. Glass surfing all day, pooping tiny amounts almost every day (mostly urate), scratching at the tile, throwing veggies all around the tank. I haven't tried feeding roaches yet, but he has been eating some of the vegetables I put in there. He is very light colored, no black beard or anything. When I take him out of his tank, he runs to the nearest window (in whatever room I take him to) and starts glass surfing again. I can't figure out what might be causing the glass surfing - is he stressed out? Impacted? Any ideas? I haven't seen him do this before.

Setup: 70 gallon aquarium with tile flooring, hammocks, and rock perches. 22 inch T5 HO Reptisun mounted inside the tank, bought 11 months ago (will change next month). On top of the wire screen lid I have a halogen flood lamp and two CHE that run 24/7 in the winter. Temp taken from rock perch on the warm side is ~100 degrees F, cool side is about 78.
Typical diet: collard greens, bok choy, mustard greens, grated butternut squash every day; dubia roaches once per week with dusting of calcium.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like he was in brumation and is now in the super active phase right after brumation. My guy is doing this now too. Just let him run around as much as possible to burn off energy. He should return to normal in a month or two and his appetite will return to normal if I'm right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom