Substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have reptile carpet in my beardie's 20 gal tank but I just got a 55 gal last night and am in the process of getting it set up for him. I want to make sure I do it right as he is my first reptile.

I'm going with a non particle substrate since he'll eat pretty much anything (except his dubia roaches ?) and I need suggestions. I like the reptile carpet except for two things: it retains a bit of a raunchy stench from his monster poops even after a good scrubbing and it sometimes gets caught in his nails. I'm probably going to keep it for part of his tank. I've seen people say not to use the adhesive tiles but why is that? Is it a health reason? I bought some last night after getting the tank but haven't done anything with them so they can be returned.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
The reason people say dont buy adhesive tiles is because you need to pick them up to clean them, with non adhesive tiles its easy to just soak it in soapy warm water and pop it into the oven for a good cleaning every week or so. I personally use tiles and paper towels as a substrate for my beardies, paper towels underneath the hides for digging so they dont wear down their claws too much on tiles.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes, it is a health hazard! The adhesive is petroleum based and is toxic.
I use rough textured floor tile. You can have it cut to fit your terrarium at Lowe's. It helps keep their nails trimmed, does not promote bacteria or fungus growth and, is easy to keep clean.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good you're taking them back as the glue under the basking lights can give off toxic fumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom