Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for asking this question...I know you have probably already answered it. I finally took out the calcium sand much to my fiance's dismay. What do you recommend putting back in there. I have paper towels but they look kind of cheap... We were thinking play sand but where is the best place to get it from. Or if you have another recommendation.

Thanks!

demonsmomma

Juvie Member
alot of people use tile you can get at a hard ware store because it looks nice and files your beardies nails at the same time however i use reptile carpet its cheap and lasts forever as log as you clean it regulary it comes in green and brown..you dont want to use any kind of sand as it can be ingested and can harbor bacteria

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
I don't know what kind of enclosure you have but in the past I have recommended using a small layer of play sand with slate tiles placed on top under the basking area and where the food bowl is located. Usually tanks are odd sized and the 12" tiles don't fit perfectly which leaves hiding places for crickets and a place to gather debris around the edges. By bedding the tiles into the sand, it fills all the cracks around the edges and you get the best of both worlds! Not to mention, it does look finished and nice.

foto69man

Hatchling Member
I use exclusively slate tile. It's easy to clean up, looks good, and you never ever have to worry about impaction

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
foto69man":in2kg3c5 said:
I use exclusively slate tile. It's easy to clean up, looks good, and you never ever have to worry about impaction

Plus its very cheap compared to having to buy and replace sand.

-Brandon

Rob461

claudiusx":23s5bonc said:
foto69man":23s5bonc said:

Plus its very cheap compared to having to buy and replace sand.

-Brandon

Not to mention the hassle of 'cleaning' it. It cost me <5 dollars at Lowes to get the tile for my enclosure. It truly is the way to go.

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
I just went to the lumber yard today and got tile off the clearance rack for my guy's home. Two big ones, a couple of small ones. I paid well under $5 and it looks so much nicer in there than the reptile carpet. :blob8: In fact, I posted pics on my blog.

Jessica1009

Original Poster
What about school tileV likethe stuff they put in schools? I guess if I go to lowes or home depot they will have slate tile.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Stick with any natural stone tile that isn't glazed if you can. I have unpolished marble that basically looks like sand in tile form that Home Depot sells for $4 for a pack of 4 6"x6". I actually use it in my baby bins and in front of the big slate tiles in my not quite 2ft deep vivs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom