Substrate Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venidara

So, I have two beardies. A seven month old male (Atreyu), and a three year old female (Butters), who was given to me by a friend about three months ago.

They both have glass terrariums that they are doing perfectly fine in, both seem to have enough room, though I do plan on buying larger terrariums when I have more money. I was sadly misinformed on the size I should have, and so was my friend, so they aren't a bad size, but they're just barely acceptable in comparison to the sizes of the beardies. Not a problem, just something I want to improve. :)

Anyway, their substrate.

I was using carpets for Atreyu until I got Butters, who was using newspaper, and decided to try that. It works much better, since Atreyu's claws always got stuck on the carpet and it was more difficult to clean. However, I don't like the way it looks and I don't think it's good for their nails (I'm not sure on that, I just think so since Atreyu's are so sharp and Butters' have grown very long and are starting to curl under), and I've heard that the best substrate is tile. But I have a few questions.

First off, what kind of tile is suggested? Are there any that are the best, and any I should stay away from?

Second, would it be okay to get tile cut to fit the glass terrarium and just put it on top of the glass bottom or not? I don't see why it would be bad, but I could just not know something about it, so I want to make sure.

And finally, I use heating pads for both of them. The tile will probably make them useless, right? Though, I also read that some tiles heat up really well to keep the beardies warm without burning them, and make the terrarium warmer. Is this true? With the lights and pads, the terrariums stay around 90 in the winter, because my room is cold (I want to find a way to improve that during just this season), but in warmer seasons it seems they stay more around 100.

Thanks for your time. <3

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Venidara":1uvdzh9y said:
First off, what kind of tile is suggested? Are there any that are the best, and any I should stay away from?

Second, would it be okay to get tile cut to fit the glass terrarium and just put it on top of the glass bottom or not? I don't see why it would be bad, but I could just not know something about it, so I want to make sure.

And finally, I use heating pads for both of them. The tile will probably make them useless, right? Though, I also read that some tiles heat up really well to keep the beardies warm without burning them, and make the terrarium warmer. Is this true? With the lights and pads, the terrariums stay around 90 in the winter, because my room is cold (I want to find a way to improve that during just this season), but in warmer seasons it seems they stay more around 100.

Thanks for your time. <3

I use slate tiles in my tanks (it helps with their nails and prevents them from slipping, which you would commonly see if you were to use ceramic tiles). The only down fall with using slate tile is cleaning (because they are textured and heavy), but being that they are tile, I can just remove them from the tank and clean them in the tub. While my tanks are melamine and I do not have to worry about breaking the tank, I would line yours with something soft (such as reptile carpet so as to "brace" the tile and prevent any accidents that may occur if you slide or drop them).

Heating pads are okay if you have adequate ventilation under the tank and adequate padding between the pad and dragon. To be safer though, you could mount the heating pads on the side of the tank or use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter w/ wire lamp) for heating at night.

You stated that you tanks only get into the 90s in the winter? is this the hot or cool side? You'll want your basking spot(s) to be in the upper 90s to lower 100s (juvs: 105-110F and adults 98-105F) with a cool side in the upper 70s, lower 80's.

Venidara

Original Poster
Thank you. That is very helpful.

Yes, they get around the mid to high 90s on the hot side. It was more during the late fall when I first got Atreyu, it stayed at about 90 with my less hot lamp I had, and then around 100 with the new one, and now it's down to the mid to high 90s. I haven't noticed anything wrong with his behavior, appetite, or poop with it at this level, but I do want to improve it.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
That's alright. Every dragon is different. I've noticed that my female, Calypso, tends to like her basking temp a little cooler than my male, Aussie. She likes it in the mid 90's (otherwise, she avoids it some of the time) while he can chill under there when it fluxuates between 98-110F.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom