Substitute veggies for insects for a few days?Baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
my Kovu is just about 2 months im guessing because he is reaching 7 inches and he hasn't been eating around 100 crickets in 10-15 minutes like most people say is common for juveniles anyways he eats good and hunts like a pro but i have some dubia im ordering today and idk when they will get here... the place i get feeders from is about 2 hours away and we arent going over this weekend i dont think and i think there is only about 100 or less cricket left...but im guessing the dubia will be shipped out either tomorrow or monday but it could be 4 days before they actually arrive... in all im ordering 365 dubia (25 adults; 15F & 10M; 40 large nymphs; & 300 small nymphs) its a really good deal and only $69 pluse $10 shipping... best deal ive found..im starting a dubia colony and i know most people say not to feed out of it for a month or so but i will have a LOT of babies and i just need to feed those for now and i would feed some of those until i could get temporary feeders. So my question is if i run out of feeders before the dubia get here, can i just give him greens? someone suggested just putting them in there on a wet paper towel and i will try that but so far he isn't that interested in greens... what if he wont eat it..do i just not give in and wait until he gives in...will he starve if he wont eat the greens and im out of crickets? :?:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He is very young and small to not have protein even for a few days. I would try to make sure you can get enough to hold him over for the 4 or so days it could take for the dubias arrive. If you had to, you could feed him some chicken and squash baby food for just a few days using more chicken and a smaller amt of squash so that he can still get his protein intake but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you and i will possibly be going to the place i usually go on monday..the roaches wont get here by then because that is the day they ship them out...i'll luckily get them wednesday or thursday... I will try to make what i have last without cutting his diet back much and hopefully ill get crickets on monday and hopefully i wont have to buy those stupid, stinky things much more!
I will buy some baby food tomorrow just to have on hand! and use it if i need to!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there LA....it sounds like your'e trying to do all the right things for your baby. It's true that they need protein every day, but not all beardies are going to eat 100 or more crix a day. Forty to fifty is fine , and at his size you can go with the 1/4 inch, maybe even 3/8. If you're running short on bugs, just stretch them out so they last... , he'll still survive. By the way I know you were wondering about ways to get him to eat greens. Try this trick...when you are feeding him crickets, just give him a few so he's got his appetite in full gear + looking for more. Then take some shredded greens [ mustard, turnip, dandelion ] and drop it in around him. Many times they will be attracted to the movement and gobble up some pieces because they're expecting more crickets anyway. Then you can offer more crix after he [ hopefully ] eats up some of the greens.

LaDragonEcho

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Bad new :( we couldn't go out of town today because roads were bad from the snow we got last night :( AND I RAN OUT OF CRICKETS YESTERDAY!!!! I went and bought baby food; squash and chicken. i was expecting him to be hesitant with eating it but i tried the squash first and he literally gobbled it up!!!! i hope this will help him until the Dubia get here! they shipped out today so it could be 4 days still!!!! im so stressed over this!1 :banghead:

You're doing the best you can, it's okay!! At least you're trying, and at least he's eating. It's good he's going for the veggies, but try to really press the chicken baby food to him since he does need the protein. I have also read that as a last resort, you could give him a bit of boiled egg. Or perhaps if you have chicken available to cook, you could give him little tiny morsels if he decides to be picky over the mashed. Four days is a long time to go without food completely, but four days with just the food you have available is just a big inconvenience! Just monitor him and don't sweat it too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom