Stringy Substance Hanging From Right Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Hello all!

My 3 1/2 year old female bearded dragon has been brumating off and on the last few months. She woke up yesterday, I gave her a long soak where she played then she ate a few greens. All was well. She was up bright and early with no problems this AM. When I got home from work she was lying on the cool side of her tank dark in color, which isn't unusual since she's brumating off and on. I picked her up to love on her a bit before putting her back in her bed and I noticed something stuck to her eye. I thought it was a piece of greens or tiny piece of shed so I dripped some water over her eye to soften it up and gently pulled at it slightly. I would have left it alone except she kept deep blinking trying to remove it from her eye. At first it looked like a piece of fuzz or tiny string that on one end was attached to greens/shed and the other attached deep in her eye to the point that it pulled the white part of her eye out. By white part I mean a white inner eyelid of sorts, I'm sorry I don't know what it's called. The end came loose that I thought was shed/greens but knew then that this was a piece of her eye and immediately let it go. It's not swollen, red or draining fluid but it's obvious that it's REALLY bothering her.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh poor thing. Can you post some close-up pictures so we can see what you're talking about?

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I can, but I'm going to have to pull it out again. You think that will be okay? I'm so afraid to hurt her or cause permanent damage.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, I thought it was visible from the outside. No, please don't pull it out again then. Do you have any saline like humans use to flush a foreign body of their eye?

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm sorry, I explained in a hurry and may have missed saying this: While I was trying to see what it was, the piece that was hanging out, the part I thought was shed or a piece of green came loose. The gooey type "string" slightly went back in but I could still see it. I just woke her to snap a picture and it appears it has gone completely back in her eye but it's swollen now.

I don't but I can definitely pick some up in the morning!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you decide to pick some up, make sure it isn't the type used for contact lenses. Has to be Saline Eye wash.

Would be a good idea to have a vet look at her eye, sooner, rather than later. Definitely looks like she is uncomfortable. Do you use a loose substrate in her tank?

Linziehonn

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay I'm going to pick some up first thing. I'll call our vet in the AM. I live 2 hours from my vet otherwise I'd just take her as soon as I wake up but I have to make sure they can work me in first.

No loose substrate, she's on tile and paper. She had a play sand box over a year ago because she loves to dig so much but it made me nervous always being in her nostrils and ears.

I really appreciate your responses, thank you!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Let us know how you make out. Good job seeing it and doing your best to help it improve.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope you are able to get her into the vets.
I am not sure what that could be. It wouldn't be a worm, would it? Most likely not, but, just a thought. It could also just be a fabric that was or is stuck to the eye. The saline solution should help wash it out but hopefully you can find out exactly what is causing.
Her eye doesn't look infected, but swollen & irritated.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom