Stressed Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikara18

I recently adopted a four year old bearded dragon. I’ve had him for about four days and haven’t changed anything about his tank yet to help him adjust a little better but i have changed his food they were feeding a bag of this dry food that you spray. So I’ve been giving him collard greens and blueberries and trying Kewi without seeds. They previous owners said they would give him crickets every 2 weeks i don’t think that is often enough so plan on Bring him a different type of bug but my main worry is he is sliding on the glass a lot and banging his on the glass he doesn’t want me to pick him up and if i do try he bobs his head at me once slowly. I’m not sure if i should give him more time or what i really just don’t want him to get hurt i have i have taped paper on the sides of his tank to make sure it’s not his reflection but he still does it. any ideas?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you are able to give him a better home (and better diet!). For a dragon that age I agree he will want more bugs. Once or twice per week for a bug meal with a nice varied salad every day should do.

It sounds like he's still stressed from the relocation. He will settle in time but it may take a while. Try offering him treats by hand and spend some time near his tank so he can start to get used to him. If he keeps glass surfing, try bringing him out so he can explore a safe area of the house. He may just be curious about his new environment and sometimes letting them explore helps with the restlessness.

Mikara18

Original Poster
96226-6343378038.jpg

96226-8161019622.jpg

Thank you here is Apollo and his tank do you have any suggestions one what kind of bugs he might enjoy i don’t really wanna continue with the crickets

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks nice and healthy. I suggest replacing his sand with something solid like shelf liner or tile so that it's easier to clean/sanitize and won't stain his feet. A taller enclosure might be good in the long term as well (is that the 12'' tall Exo Terra?). For bug options, I offer a rotation of dubia roaches, silk worms, horn worms, black soldier fly larvae, and occasional super worms.

Mikara18

Original Poster
Thank you and the guy told me the tank is 36 long 18 wide and 12 tall. I do wanna change is tank to a 55 gal asap and replace that cardboard box with a hammock and a hide

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's the exo terra. I have the same one that is 18'' tall. I don't have any other animals in the house so I leave the top off and suspend the basking light from an adjustable stand (UVB tube just sits across the top) to provide some extra height. Still not as big as I'd like but I offer lots of outside the tank time to make up for it.

gtaman

I recently got some new baby dragons and to keep them from stressing out when seeing my kids fly all around the house, I hung paper on all walls of the enclosure. That way they only see the inside and don't get so freaked out. Maybe it would help him adjust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom