Stressed because her Reflection is always tormenting her?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erica582

Hatchling Member
So I had previously housed my beardie in a 20 gal, shes about 14 inches long and I decided that was much too small for her so my boyfriend and I went out and bought a 40 gal tank. We wanted to build a viv like on here but this was actually cheaper.
Before we made the move from the 20 to the 40 gal, I saw her black beard once, because she saw our chameleon. Now I have moved her she is constantly black bearding her reflection, running around crazily, she doesnt want to be held, she actually bit me for the first time (not hard at all so my boyfriend says she didnt mean to apparently). Yesterday she was glaring at herself in the corner and I went out for at least 3 hours and when I came back she was still doing it. She also wont eat her salad. But will still eat crickets. She is clearly very stressed and her beard always has a tint of black now. And her colouring is darker. All she does is stare at herself.

So, we have cut cardboard to cover two sides of the tank, but we cant possibly cover all sides of the enclosure so she cant see herself. Someone suggested to me fake plants all over the back. But then the crickets will get into them and chirp all night long.

Any stories and suggestions about this?

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
How long ago did you move her? She needs to get use to her new surrounding.

I have one guy that I actually do have paper covering the front of his viv because he is constantly glass dancing and trying to escape.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
i had this issue too. I had a nice looking background but elliott was getting very mad at his reflection. I just cut some wood paneling down to size. It doesn't look as nice, but for the mean time he appears much happier.

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She's been in there for 5 days, but I can see it progressively getting worse. It worries me. Do you have it on all sides?

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
no i only have it on the back. he doesnt seem to notice any reflection on the sides. That could be because there isnt any dark background that gives glass a contrasting reflection. In other words. If you put a dark sheet behind glass you will be able to see your reflection a lot better than a white sheet.

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ya I thought about that. I think white would reflect a lot too. I may do the fake plants deal, it would look better. She does it in all the corners and out the front into the room so I dont know.

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have decided to buy glass paint, and cover the sides and back glass of the tank. Which are right now currently covered in cardboard. She is still threatening her reflection from the front side, I want her to be able to see out. There is no way to... I dont know I have seen tanks with the inside frosted but you could still see out. Sounds difficult to me.
I also considered putting window sticker/gels on the glass to interrupt her reflection. Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom