Stray egg -- possible egg bound.?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Warning: poop photo enclosed

So you all know Dreki laid eggs 5 days ago. Since then, she's been eating and drinking and remaining in her basking spot but not pooping. She hasn't had a real bowl movement in a long time so naturally, this one was hard and..well, thick. And a lot. But either before the actual poop came out or right after (in the same motion) or even with it, a stray egg came out. It was a regular looking infertile egg and it was the only one. Is that normal.? Could that mean there's more and she's egg bound.?

Attachments

• 20240122_114756.jpg
    20240122_114756.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 50

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Not egg bound, if she was sge wouldn't be able to get them out. As far as more its hard to say. Ruby laid 5ish weeks ago, now she's acting like she want to lay again. She double clutched last year also. So Dreki could lay more would ve my guess. @AHBD would becthe best to ask though.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
If a dragon is egg bound they are nearly always in distress, with black beard, lethargic, etc.
It's not uncommon for dragons to lay an egg or 2 a day or so after the original clutch so she's probably fine.
Even though it's five days later.? We have a vet helpline through their pet insurance
With nationwide and she said she was most likely okay, probably just a bit constipated but I don't think I've ever seen a single egg come out several days after the clutch. She's acting normal. She ate, runs around and is basking

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree with AHBD, they oftentimes do lay stray eggs several days after laying a clutch but it
does't necessarily mean she is egg bound. It was just one left over that might not have been
bunched up with the other eggs.

Tracie

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

I agree with AHBD, they oftentimes do lay stray eggs several days after laying a clutch but it
does't necessarily mean she is egg bound. It was just one left over that might not have been
bunched up with the other eggs.

Tracie
That's good to know. We were worried for a minute. One good thing is she went from 550ish pre-lay to 466 after lay and as of yesterday is 530ish again. I'm so glad she still has a decent appetite for bugs and salad

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing now? Wow that's great she has gained weight back now, after laying. At least she
has most of her appetite back now. Feel free to post pictures anytime with updates on her.

Tracie

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

How is your girl doing now? Wow that's great she has gained weight back now, after laying. At least she
has most of her appetite back now. Feel free to post pictures anytime with updates on her.

Tracie
She's definitely doing much better. She remembers how much she likes super worms and dubias. Especially the bigger fat ones 😂😂 she starting to act a little bit like she did before laying i.e., scratching to get out a little more often and really determined to get down to run around but I figure that's just because she's feeling better. You can see she's getting a bit of a belly now.

Attachments

• 20240130_212928.jpg
    20240130_212928.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240130_212912.jpg
    20240130_212912.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 31

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
She's definitely doing much better. She remembers how much she likes super worms and dubias. Especially the bigger fat ones 😂😂 she starting to act a little bit like she did before laying i.e., scratching to get out a little more often and really determined to get down to run around but I figure that's just because she's feeling better. You can see she's getting a bit of a belly now.
She is very pretty 😍

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is really great to hear, she is definitely looking more alert now! She does have a nice beardie belly for sure.
I hope that she continues to improve now. She must be
feeling quite a bit better if she's eating well now.

Tracie

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

That is really great to hear, she is definitely looking more alert now! She does have a nice beardie belly for sure.
I hope that she continues to improve now. She must be
feeling quite a bit better if she's eating well now.

Tracie
She definitely is and we're so glad. She was really stressing us out for a good while.

Now our little Miko is refusing food more than she's eating and hiding a lot of the time instead of basking. She's about 9 months and could do to skip a meal or two but it stresses us out when they do this. Even after all five of them going through stages of refusing to eat and not basking a bunch, it still makes us worry.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It seems like it is always something with them, trying to stress us out for sure! As long as Miko is
seemingly healthy & not losing weight she should be just fine.

Tracie

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hello,

It seems like it is always something with them, trying to stress us out for sure! As long as Miko is
seemingly healthy & not losing weight she should be just fine.

Tracie
I don't think she's loosing weight, she doesn't look like it. She's a chunk, like 500 something grams. She's like 17ish inches but looks so small, it's so weird. I'll have to get a good photo of her today to show you. I guess she seems healthy. She isn't really sleeping when she's on the other side of her tank all day but she looks a bit sleepy, maybe.? If that makes any sense. She just lays on the other side of her tank or hides in her little tree most of the day and isn't really eating. Anytime I offer food, she does that eye close thing they do when they're wanting you to go away. She acts more like what you'd expect a lizard to act like, shes a tad skittish and jumps easily and is taking a while to warm up to everyone even though we've had her like five months.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom