stopped eating greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Spot is about 14 months now and she is a very healthy girl. You can tell by looking at her, :D I recently switched her staple live feeders from crickets to superworms and it seems to be working out great. She gobbles them up viciously and is always eager to eat them. She would eat around 30, I bet, if I would let her. The problem is, after entering this new staple she has slowly become disinterested in any other food.. no form of veggie that I give her will she accept. I've tried.. kale, mustard greens, butternut squash, acorn squash, bell peppers, strawberries, carrots, apple, baby food, blueberries, blackberries... feels like just about everything. She will nibble slightly on a little bit of greens, but that is it. Her diet appears to resemble the 80% protein and 20% greens which is backwards for her age. I stopped feeding her superworms for a couple days to try to encourage her to eat her greens, but it didn't seem to do much good. Any suggestions?? By the way, I have supplemented her with the Reptaid (3ml) to try to boost her appetite in attempts to feed her more greens.. her appetite did spike, but only for the worms.

Not sure what you feed first but what I do with my dragons is feed them greens before I leave for work at around 10-11 in the morning. Then when I get home around 8-9 they get there supers and crickets. I wouldn't go as far as saying it should be 80% greens 20% insects it is more like 50/50 when they are full grown maybe alittle 60/40 in favor of greens. Just keep offering her the greens in the morning and she will take them eventually. Keep us updated if anything changes.

jewl495

Juvie Member
Have you tried blending your beardie salad and feeding it taht way? I do this for my guy about once a week because he doesn't like his salads much but he will chow down on the blended mixture. I feed whats left over to the roaches and they love it too.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
I find they like a little change up from time to time. The feeding habits of individuals varies a lot through their lives. I have found there are no real hard and fast rules. I just feed them what ever they tend to eat the most consistently. Some will hardly ever eat greens, unless they're starved.

I mostly keep it simple: crix, supers, collards, dubias, and hornworms for gravid females.

Jeff

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
so feeding them the healthy amount of live feeders even when they aren't eating very many greens will still allow them to be healthy and not underfed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom