Still not sure what's up with Thor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceyourface

Hatchling Member
I was going to post this last night but there was site maintainence going on.I have seen the vet already but want your opinions too. I am so confused by Thor's behavior. So Thor had been very restless and wasn't eating. Someone said she could be gravid so I made a lay box which she hates and tries to escape. I got her to eat a few crickets and pheonix worms for a few days. But I ran out of worms and she stopped eating the crix. So I tried to get her more greens. Escarole, turnip greens, mustard greens, and collard greens mixed with snap peas(usually her favorite) and cactus leaf. She would take a few bites then spend the rest of her day trampling throught it spilling it everywhere as she glass danced. Lately her behavior changed. I started using three lamps because it seemed like one heat lamp with a 100 watt bulb wasn't heating up the tank properly according to the temp gages. She seemed to calm down a lot lately. No more glass dancing but all she does now is sit on top of her cave on the cool side of her tank. She won't eat from her dish but I can get her to eat a few leaves if I feed them to her by hand. But then she loses interest. I had made a vet appointment for today at 2. I've never been to this place but my mom and sister have given it good reviews. But that was for my sisters dog. There are two vets there that have expirience with reptiles. They never told me which one I was seeing. Last night I went and bought crickets. But what was weird was now all of a sudden Thor got her appetite back. And of course right when I buy less because she wasn't eating she gobbles them all up. She went nuts and chased them all down and just feasted. It is a relief to see her eating again but I honestly don't know what's goin on with her. Maybe it was the lighting or maybe it's puberty but she just hasn't developed eggs yet. I am keeping my appointment and having her checked out anyways since she hasn't had a check up ever since I've had her. I hope all is normal. Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Aceyourface

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well we had a very good expirience at the vet. The lady we saw was very nice and did know about reptiles. Thor was on her best behavior and even though she squirmed when the vet had to check some things she never bit or threatened. And good news is she's(definitely a she)been given a clean bill of health. I was told she is a healthy weight and was nice and hydrated. And after explaining what she's fed and her living environment and what not the vet said she was pleased and that she was surprised because I'm the only reptile owner that's gone in there since they opened recently that actually knows what they are doing lol her only suggestions were possibly to increase baths and maybe put a small bowl of water in the tank. Which I'm not sure if I should do because I've heard that messes with the humidity. She also suggested maybe a live plant like cat grass to help with oxygen flow and to keep Thor stimulated. What do you guys think of this? One more thing she said was to increase outside time in real sun she said 15 mins is good but I remember reading 20-30 is better. She said a good way is to get a reptarium. These were all just little suggestions to make Thor even healthier but she said I am doing a good job already. She also said because Thor looks so good and this is after feeling around and checking her vent and mouth, she said there was no need to do a fecal or deworm at this time. The only explanation she had for the not eating is that sometimes reptiles do just go off their food sometimes. She said it could have been the lighting either it was too hot or not enough before or it's early puberty. Which is what I was thinking too. Oh and when she first saw her she thought she was older then what I thought. But I told her she was tiny when I got her at petco. She said often times they appear younger then they are at places like that because of them being in a not so great environment and don't really grow properly until they are cared for by us. Which I definitely beleive. But she also agreed Thor is not old enough to have eggs.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I keep planted wheatgrass for Geico to play in and nibble at. He doesnt always get it just sometimes. I will put the entire plant in his viv for about an hour and he loves it. I get the plant in the grocery store <organic plant> in the produce dept. When I take it out, it goes in HIS fridge until the next time. I replace the plant 2 a month. So maybe yours will enjoy the catgrass. I even use bird toys now and then to stimulate Geico <the bird toys are all natural, no paint on them>.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom