Still no appetite...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Draper went through about a 1 week brumation about 2 months ago. Since he 'woke up', he's been very active, but isn't eating much. I thought it was part of the process, but it's worrying me a little. He seems very healthy, but he's just not eating much. He'll eat 1-2 dubia or 1-2 supers every few days, and he'll eat a mouth full or two of greens a day.

We replaced his UVB (reptisun 10.0 tube) about a week ago, thinking the old one was done putting out UVB (about 5 months old).

We've tried numerous different greens, veggies and fruits, but he just won't take to them.

He used to feast on dubia every day.

At least he isn't loosing much weight, he's at 392g. His highest weight was 400g.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Last year after his first brumation, Darwin didn't eat well for a couple of months. He lost no weight but was extremely active during that time, blackbearding and stomping around his enclosure. Your beardie's probably just overcome with male hormones and just wants to breed.

As long as he's not losing weight and is remaining active, I wouldn't worry at all.

This year, Darwin has been the biggest pig and eaten everything in sight.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
I think not eating after brumation is pretty normal. My big guy Brick brumated from November 3rd til Jan 27th, and didn't start eating on his own until March 10th. It worried me big time lol. I tried increasing his temps, messing with his light schedule, etc but nothing worked. He started losing weight though, so after a few days of him not eating I did have to start hand feeding Critical Care mixed with chicken or turkey babyfood & thinned out with water. Then one day he just decided to eat again on his own I guess. Crazy dragons. He's been eating just fine since then, knock on wood!

Brick was extra active and "hormonal" too (like Darwin) those first few weeks after he woke up, and seemed restless. I gave him more out-of-the-viv time than usual and that seemed to help a little. I'm sure what he really wanted was a lady dragon though, poor guy.

So as long as Draper isn't losing weight, I don't think you need to worry! The fact that he's eating at all is a good sign. :) And even a little bit of weight loss is fine according to my vet (she wasn't fazed at all on Friday when I told her Brick had lost 27 grams since November). It probably is hormones messing with his appetite, like Randommonks said. :)

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
I know you're already giving this but what brought Darwin out of his fast last year was offering superworms. He went nutso over them and wouldn't eat dubias anymore. Is there a feeder that you haven't tried yet? Maybe hornworms (very vivid bright green) which could entice him? Just keep him hydrated and, honestly, he'll snap out of it soon enough.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I thought the same thing RM, that's why we added the supers.

When we first started with Draper he was on crickets and phoenix worms, then we added dubia. Later we tried silks and horn worms. The week we tried the horn/silks, Draper got a case of coccidia. We weren't 100% sure it was the new worm that caused it, so we decided to narrow his diet down for a while. He loved the dubia, and we had our own colony, eliminating an outside source of parasites. So he hasn't had any other type of feeder for 6+ months...until the supers. The first day he ate 3 supers right away. And over the past 2 weeks he's had about 10 total....now he just stares at them. He looks like he wants to eat, but holds back. We even tried new calcium/multiV powder.

I think his biology is telling him not to eat yet. And it sounds like that could be the simplest answer.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom