still in a rut

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmosmom

So, I was on here the beginning of March. My beardie is 15" long nose to tail. I got him in Oct. and he was 6" long, not sure how old. He started hiding, under his basking spot, and eating less. I came here to find I was using the "devil light" (zilla dessert 50) I shut it off, and he perked up a bit. I got a powersun, a couple days later. I have the temps 108 in the basking spot and 83 in the cool side. Temps taken with digital probe. The problem is he is still hiding. I bath him everyother day. He perks up after his bath, and eats then a few hours later hides again. He's pooping in his bath, and eats after, but not as much. I took him to a vet that said he did reptiles, but I think it was his first one. He didnt touch him, just looked. Never checked his mouth, or nose, only looked in his ear. Then he sent me home with no answer, and said he would call. He called the next day. He said as long as he's still pooping and eating he's ok. Maybe, he's trying to brumate. I think he's young, for this, but don't really know how old he was when I got him, and I know all dragons are different. So, no answers. Now, I'm thinking he may gave a respirtory infection. I see nothing coming from his nose. After he eats a few crickets, or greens he puffs his beard out and puts his head up, like hes trying to swallow. He gets it down. When he's doing this it kind of sounds like a clicking in his throat. I tried to look in his mouth when I was feeding him greens, and it kind of looked like alot of saliva stringing on the side when he opened his mouth. I was not thinking and I had a humidifier running in the same room as him, thats why I'm thinking this. Also, the temps were off when I was going through the lighting transition. I feel so bad, it's probably all my fault. :cry: Is there anything I can give to help with this? Really, can't afford another vet visit, and I'm scared to death they will give me some bad meds. I hear antibiotics are harsh on them. Is there anything, at all I can do? Someone, mentioned bee pollen? Or am I crazy, and thinking of something else? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
Well if he does have a respiratory infection there are no at home remedies that I know of. Sounds like you would be wasting your money going back to that vet though. You may need to call around your area or even a bit outside of your area to find a more experienced vet. You may also want to get a fecal done to check for parasites. (im going to day to bring some poopy to the vet myself!) Good luck.

Lennifer

Juvie Member
I would def take call around to try to locate a diff vet. The fact that he didn't even touch him sounds funny to me. I would take a poo sample in & if u can afford it, I would have his blood checked as well.

~Sandy

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What you can do is keep him a little warmer in his tank, around 75-80 overnight right now. Try to keep the humidity under 20% at the moment until he improves.
The bee pollen along with brewer's yeast works very well to help with immune system function & appetite stimulation too so you can use those.
Do you have a vet you can get to? Sometimes, you can get those symptoms under control with simple husbandry changes.

I hope he is feeling better.

Tracie

gizmosmom

Original Poster
I am still trying to find a vet. Definately not going to the same one again. I swear he just went home and googled it and then called me and told me what I already had been reading about. So, he had a bath today, and pooed, and is in the basking spot now. Also ate a few greens and a couple crickets. He doesn't appear to be losing much weight. I don't have a scale so not sure of his weight. The vet took his weight in oz for some reason! He made a comment later that he should have used grams. I don't remember what it was though :banghead:
How do you give the bee pollen? Is it the same as the stuff in the adult supplement isle? Do I mix with something? And how much? Brewers yeast? I would like to do something to help until I find a good vet, and get the money.

Ker6176

i dont know much about the respiratory problems. i just got my first beardie just last week. mine is a little underr 6 inches so if it helps any she is 1 month old. maybe it will help u figure out yours age. as for the brewers yeast and bee pollen. gnc sells good stuff that is in powder form so maybe with the crickets mixing the yeast and pollen together then serving it with the calcium d3 crickets. i hope he gets better!

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
This is just a thought but maybe your temps are to high during the day malibu will not bask if its above 102 she
goes into her cave & just looks out.

gizmosmom

Original Poster
Please forgive my ignorance, but could you elaborate on these husbandry changes. Maybe, some specifics?

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
Malibus viv is 70 gall 24 high 48 long screen ontop lights in domes ontop of screen.One is a megaray 100 watt
that sits over "low basking spot" next to it on top is a sixty watt household light bulb in dome sits on top of screen over "higher log basking spot.Temps are 101..i can move lights ontop of screeen to vary temps on basking spots in the summer i switch to 40 watt household bulb,beside megaray.Hope this helps at night i use nothing lioghts out malibu is wrapped in her fleece & placed on cool end on squashy pillow tilll mourning.Temps in my apt stay 65-70.
100_0865.jpg
100_0862.jpg
100_0863.jpg
100_0864.jpg

Hope this helps.

Lennifer

Juvie Member
I was wondering the same thing about the temps as well. Do u know how many inches away the MVB bulb is from the basking spot? As for the MVB, if it’s 100 or 125 whatt, it needs to be 12" away from the basking spot, 160 whatts need to be 18" away. No closer. The UVB they emitt and all the heat can be harmful if to close. I was noticing from thepics that his/her cave is on the warm side of the enclosure? I thought when they Brumate, they do this because the Wheather is cooling off outside & that their cage needs to reflect these changes? If so, it's kind of strange that if he is going into brumation, that he would stay in the cave on the warm side of the tank. That makes me beleive that he still wants to be wamr but that maybe the basking spot is too warm for her/him? Hmm. I hope he/she is feeling better today. I wish I had better advice to offer. I would take a poo sample to the vet just to rule out parasites. My Drago had pinworms & he became alot less active & not eatting as much. Please keep us posted.

~Sandy

gizmosmom

Original Poster
The highest spot was 14" away from the mvb, it's a 100w. It was 105-107 in that spot. I lowered the platform away from the light a little bit. Still taking temps there. I've been giving greens with bee pollen sprinkled on top. His appetite is not back to normal, but he is eating. He also was out, all day yesterday. He did not hide at all. He also slept in the corner standing up, which he used to always do. :D Getting ready to give him his bath. It was suggested to keep the night temps up, for now. I must use a night time heat light for this correct? I don't have one yet because my house is always 70. I use regular bulbs for heat, this would disturb him at night, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom