Steve and Robert. A Tale of Two Tank Mates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysty

Juvie Member
We bought (rescued) Steve and Robert a week ago.

At 18m/o they were still being kept in the same viv and without a UV source. The owner claimed Robert was a female, yet they are both clearly male and barely tolerating one another so we urgently sourced a new viv before someone got hurt.

3 days after seperation and Robert especially is much calmer. Glass surfing has stopped. Steve doesn't get bullied over food. Its hard to believe that their previous owner did not feel it necessary to seperate the two.

Here they are now:

Robert

91179-6739691770.jpg

91179-4986105161.jpg

Steve

91179-5569241792.jpg

91179-656486373.jpg

Robert is a little smaller and paler than Steve. Personality wise Steve is totally chilled and a little lazy while Robert is highly curious and apt to sprint off without warning.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I am glad you have separated them, they seem to be much happier now. Now if we could just work on that substrate, lol!

Mysty

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Aye, this substrate is what they came with and what they are accustomed to; its corn cob granules.

Would be interested to know if anyone does currently use this.

I am aware that any particulate substrate can cause issues if ingested. One of the vivs has a tiled area and the other has a wooden shelf so as a precaution will use these areas for releasing feeder insects or do so outside the viv.

They really do not show any interest in eating the substrate, but ideally, would like to have both vivs with mainly tile and a substrate with hide area as the both enjoy digging and making a bed in the substrate.

Welcome any and all opinions on possible options.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I use rough textured tile for several reasons!
Easy to clean and disinfect
Trims their nails naturally
Can not be ingested, no impaction risk
Can be kept bacteria free easily

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom