STARVING DRAGON!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
I got a new dragon exactly one week ago. It looked like he was improving with daily baths, and he ate 5 crickets on thursday, but today as far as I know, he has eaten ONE CRICKET!! he ignored one I set right in front of him, and I'm going CRAZY trying to get him to eat! Will a dragon starve itself to death by re-location stress? His stress marks disappear after his bath. Temps are perfect, got a reptisun tube, and it seems like things should be getting better now! :banghead: PLEASE OFFER ADVICE!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....is he pooing ? What size were the crix and how big is your beardie ? Were they smaller than the space between his eyes ? He's probably fine and still going through relocation stress. Make sure he's well hydrated, that can affect appetite. Has he eaten any of the dried mix you mentioned in your intro ? That could cause a little constipation, I would leave that out of his diet. If he DOES have trouble pooing, try some canned pumpkin, baby food squash or baby food prunes. But give it some time, he should be fine if he's not acting sick.

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He will not eat anything that isn't alive, it has to move before he notices, so no, he has not eaten any of the dried fruit. He is doing his business every day( :wink: ), very regular, well formed and clean. He gets a bath every day, but he looks thin, so I was starting to worry.

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
uh, give it a little time? relax? try a little variety in the feeders? what is the age of the dragon? can you post a picture? length and weight? tried baby food?

slstelfox

Hi there, while it may be frowned upon as having not too much nutritional value...I have found that my not so hearty dragon can never resist a super worm. She will also have a long soak (about a half hour or longer) in lukewarm water a day. That way she still stays hydrated with little food. She will drink a lot more than my beast of a dragon while soaking. It's amazing how different each one is compared to one another.

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
slstelfox":2xhd440l said:
It's amazing how different each one is compared to one another.

I completely agree, you have to find the right rhythm, and that takes a little time. Obviously, with a baby, time is of the essence. With a sub-adult or older, time is on your side…

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He is a little tiny guy, that is why I can't relax, Jaskotch. I've done my homework, but there is a gap in my know-how. I have pictures, but I don't wanna open an account with photo bucket, plus I have a mac. He just got to like 6.5 inches. I ordered repti-worms, but they were delayed because it is really cold here. I do know about variety, but no one sell stuff like silkworms or butterworms around here, only by mail, and as stated, it is too cold. Only stuff I can get is like mealworms, :puke: or superworms or red wrigglers. Weight, I have no idea. As for time, It has been 8 days since I got him. I was under the impression that they were supposed to be done with relocation stress by now. Yes, I know they don't eat when they have relocation stress. Age, I would guess by length, month to month and a half. I have tried baby food, he freaks if I drip more than a couple drops on his nose. Now do you see why I can't relax?

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
wilddragons16":21w8r2pe said:
He is a little tiny guy, that is why I can't relax, Jaskotch. I've done my homework, but there is a gap in my know-how. I have pictures, but I don't wanna open an account with photo bucket, plus I have a mac. He just got to like 6.5 inches. I ordered repti-worms, but they were delayed because it is really cold here. I do know about variety, but no one sell stuff like silkworms or butterworms around here, only by mail, and as stated, it is too cold. Only stuff I can get is like mealworms, :puke: or superworms or red wrigglers. Weight, I have no idea. As for time, It has been 8 days. I was under the impression that they were supposed to be done with relocation stress by now. Yes, I know they don't eat when they have relocation stress. Age, I would guess by length, month to month and a half. I have tried baby food, he freaks if I drip more than a couple drops on his nose. Now do you see why I can't relax?

ok, so he's a baby then… understand getting a variety of live feeders is going to be tough, given the weather, etc. have you checked into getting phoenix worms by mail? they're a particularly nice feeder for tiny dragons imo. very good for them, for one thing, and they are easy to snap up. i just don't know about the shipping constraints- you might check though. i have had them held at the PO for pickup and never had a problem (one time, it took an entire week to get the order). forget super worms, your dragon doesn't meet the length requirement for them, and won't for another 10 inches or so… dubias are great, and you could probably get them shipped with a heat pack… if he's not going for appropriately sized crickets though, it may be that something else is going on. i too would be worried at that size if he hasn't eaten in a week. is there something in (or in view of) his environment that could be freaking him out? how does he act in his environment? moving about? climbing and running? hiding? basking normally?

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ohh, its the amount that he eat that worries me. He eats like one little size cricket a day. They are dusted, too. He basks, runs around, climbs, scratches the glass, and stares at me. He sometimes sits on his hammock when he wants to be fed. He is eating, just not enough. :( Sadly, roaches are not an option, because some people have roachaphobia :lol: I have heard they are great feeders though. So, the repti-worms are the same as Phoenixworms so I've heard, and thats what I'm waiting for to ship. He is VERY agile. when I hold him, he likes to climb up my arm. :mrgreen:

Jaskotch

Juvie Member
wilddragons16":1706uzaf said:
Sadly, roaches are not an option, because some people have roachaphobia :lol: I have heard they are great feeders though. :mrgreen:

don't give up on that idea. i never thought i could handle them, but after getting some, if i were to rate crickets and dubias on the same meter of yuk, crickets would be a 10, and dubias a 2. 10 being the WORST. dubias are easy to handle, they don't bite, don't fly, don't climb vertical surfaces, and don't stink. it was fairly easy to establish a breeding colony, i finally got rid of them only because my one beardie could not keep up with eating them, they multiply so rapidly once they get going, and they eat a lot. but as a one time order, i would highly recommend them to you. yes, initially they are gross, but you kind of get into it, when you see how much your lizard enjoys them! just a thought… heck, the nymphs are kinda cute, really...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What type of thermometer are you using and where exactly are you taking the temps? What are the basking & cool side temps?

What brand & type of UVB and what is the distance of that particular bulb? Is it right alongside a bright white basking bulb?

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ahh, good questions. So, I have a reptisun 10 uvb tube, it's 36 watts, in an electronic ballast fixutre. Day time temperatures on the basking spot reaches 115 degrees. Cool side is 80. I am using a thermometer with a probe, and with a infrared thermometer.I have a 40 gallon breeder, and it is 18 inches wide. So I have a screen cover that divides into two parts with a hinge in the middle, so you don't have to take the whole thing off to access the lizard. The hinge is in the middle, and my uvb fixture is right next to the hinge on the back side, in the front socket of the fixture, and I have a slit in the screen. My basking lights are in the front, pushed up to the hinge on the front side. The bulbs are not right next to the basking lights. I have never seen that done before in the pictures on this site. :?: The uvb bulb is 16 inches away at the furthest point. I have seen him just go and sit under the uvb light, so I assumed that if and when he wanted direct uvb he could get it. The bulb is a reflecting fixture, so it flares the light out to the sides. I hope this helps.

wilddragons16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
don't give up on that idea. i never thought i could handle them, but after getting some, if i were to rate crickets and dubias on the same meter of yuk, crickets would be a 10, and dubias a 2. 10 being the WORST. dubias are easy to handle, they don't bite, don't fly, don't climb vertical surfaces, and don't stink. it was fairly easy to establish a breeding colony, i finally got rid of them only because my one beardie could not keep up with eating them, they multiply so rapidly once they get going, and they eat a lot. but as a one time order, i would highly recommend them to you. yes, initially they are gross, but you kind of get into it, when you see how much your lizard enjoys them! just a thought… heck, the nymphs are kinda cute, really...
I don't mind roaches, I'd pick 'em up no problem. But others in my house wouldn't let them past the door, and will not be persuaded that they aren't that bad :roll: . I wouldn't think anyone thought crix were yuk. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom