Starting a Roach Colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcurko

Hey guys,

1st post here on BD anyways i was wondering what number of roaches would i need to start a colony and whether they would require constant maintenance like the dam crickets. Prices are getting too high for me atm and my beardies need to bulk up this is what i got told from a supplier in terms of pricing is it a good deal? What should i get?

Thanks! Brenton

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Brenton,
Here is all the details for buying woodies

*please note that I don't count the woodies they are sold by weight

I think every seller is the same.

there can be some variation in the total number you get depending on the weather and how much they eat / drink.

If it is hot they can eat more carrot and be heavier.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT IF IT IS GOING TO BE HOT IN YOU AREAover 30oC YOU WILL EXPERIENCE LOSSES DURING TRANSIT so try to have them sent to you on the coolest day possible.

THERE ARE SEVERAL DIFFERENT SIZES

BABIES BULK PACK

WEIGHT: minimum 50grams

SIZE :around 1/2 - 1cm long

AMOUNT :you get approx 1000

PRICE: $37 POSTAGE COST : $7.70 (next day delivery Aus wide) or $5.60 in Vic (might take 2 days)

SMALL BULK PACK

WEIGHT: minimum 100grams

SIZE :around 1.5cm long

PRICE: $47 POSTAGE COST : $7.70 (next day delivery Aus wide) or $5.60 in Vic (might take 2 days)

MEDIUM BULK PACK

WEIGHT: minimum 200grams

SIZE :around 1.5-2cm long

PRICE: $57 POSTAGE COST : $11.90 (next day delivery Aus wide) or $5.90 in Vic (might take 2 days)

LARGE BULK PACK

WEIGHT: minimum 500grams

SIZE :around 2 - 3cm long

PRICE: $67 POSTAGE COST : $11.90 (next day delivery Aus wide) or $5.90 in Vic (might take 2 days)

SMALLER QUANTITIES AVAILABLE

*approx 250 LARGE 2.5cm 125g $30 plus $7.70 postage

*approx 500 LARGE 2.5cm 250g $40 plus $7.70 postage

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DO YOU WANT TO FEED AND BREED?

I can give you A MIXED SIZE COLONY of 1/2 adult breeders so you can start to breed your own AND 1/2 of a smaller size to feed to your smaller lizards

1: START UP COLONY 1/2 adults and 1/2 (baby +small + medium) mix for $67 plus $11.90 postage

2: FEED AND BREED BABY 1/2 adults PLUS 1/2 babies $67 plus $11.90 postage

3: FEED AND BREED SMALL 1/2 adults PLUS 1/2 small $67 plus $11.90 postage

4: FEED AND BREED MEDIUM 1/2 adults PLUS 1/2 medium $67 plus $11.90 postage

These are my two beardies one male and female i think :S they are about 1 year old now and u can tell i need to fatten them up asap

20f48pe.jpg

6431gj.jpg

Cya

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
:wave: Hello & Welcome to the Site! :D

I have the Blatta Lateralis I paid $14.50 + $9.75 S&H for 1000 mixed mostly adults.

I don't know what the Woodies are. :?:
What is there scientific name?

bcurko

Original Poster
Woodies are Nauphoeta cinerea, aka the Lobster Roach.
I need to get my colony from AUS somewhere....

patrickb

Juvie Member
I would aim for the package that gives approx 1000 roaches in it, as that would be your best bang for your buck. Get it in the 1/2 adults 1/2 medium nymphs version and I think you should be set for your two beardies. You can feed the nymphs off while the adults breed and these guys breed very fast from what I read. Faster than the Turks I keep and that is already super fast. Worst case scenario if you need more later, you could order a smaller package for just feeding from, though I highly doubt you would need to do that. As far as whether it is a good deal, very hard to say since I am in the US and they are much cheaper, plus the difference in AUS dollars vs US dollars. Regardless, this will replace your monthly cricket bill immediately, so it will pay for itself in no time even if it is a bit expensive.

As far as maintenance, they are a LOT less hassle than crickets. You will only need to check on their food/water levels about twice a week at the most and that's it. Clean the totes out every 3-6 months depending on how large your colony is. When you are checking on the food/water levels, spot check for any dead roaches and pick them out. They love to be neglected and thrive on it. Once you get used to how much to feed your colony, you can cut the maintenance down to just once a week if you want, they will not all up and die on you overnight like crickets will, plus they don't stink! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom