Starting a Dubia Roach Colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
Would oats, cat food and sugar be a decent feed for the roaches. Trying to make my own to save money.

Rampagingraptor

Sub-Adult Member
I couldn't really tell you for sure, but I would imagine that feeding them veggies would be better for their health. Maybe cheaper too? Not really sure honestly.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
Rampagingraptor":3j4057tj said:
I couldn't really tell you for sure, but I would imagine that feeding them veggies would be better for their health. Maybe cheaper too? Not really sure honestly.
I plan on putting in an orange once a week. But from all the youtube videos I have watched I need a roach or cricket mix to feed them also. One video recommended using those ingredients to make your own. Thought I would ask here first since I would rather get an answer from experienced breeders. Would be dirt cheap for me since I have tons of all 3 ingredients

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oats would be OK. I wouldn't use cat food and sugar though. I provide my colony with veg scraps, sometimes orange slices, and occasional oats or bread slice. They've been thriving for a year and a half now.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
CooperDragon":1cyugjkz said:
Oats would be OK. I wouldn't use cat food and sugar though. I provide my colony with veg scraps, sometimes orange slices, and occasional oats or bread slice. They've been thriving for a year and a half now.
So would cut up potatoes and springtime lettuce mix work? going to get smelly. Why are there so many videos advising different dry mixes and kits that that come with dry mixes. I trust your advice and will go with it just confused why the huge difference.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Potatoes will offer some hydration, but I wouldn't leave them too long. I've found that they'll dig in for a bit but then leave them (and burrow into them) so they run the risk of molding. I have a dry house (especially in winter) so that hasn't been much of a problem but I still don't like to leave any moist veges around for more than a couple of days. The greens mix may work but I've found that they nibble at greens but it's not their favorite. They LOVE squash and orange slices. They'll eat at celery stalks/roots and that sort of thing as well. As far as the dry mixes go, they may be OK, I just don't know. I'm only commenting based on the experience I've had with my colony and I'm still relatively new to dubias myself. The veg scraps have kept them going and they are thriving though so I know it works. It's certainly not the only way of doing things though.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
CooperDragon":2lxmcff2 said:
Potatoes will offer some hydration, but I wouldn't leave them too long. I've found that they'll dig in for a bit but then leave them (and burrow into them) so they run the risk of molding. I have a dry house (especially in winter) so that hasn't been much of a problem but I still don't like to leave any moist veges around for more than a couple of days. The greens mix may work but I've found that they nibble at greens but it's not their favorite. They LOVE squash and orange slices. They'll eat at celery stalks/roots and that sort of thing as well. As far as the dry mixes go, they may be OK, I just don't know. I'm only commenting based on the experience I've had with my colony and I'm still relatively new to dubias myself. The veg scraps have kept them going and they are thriving though so I know it works. It's certainly not the only way of doing things though.

So squash and oranges? how long do you usually leave them in there before replacing them? Thank you again for all your help. I have been picking at your brain a lot, and asking all kinds of noob questions.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's what they've seemed to like the best out of what I've fed them. They usually eat all of the squash and the oranges they'll take down to the rind unless I put too much in there for them to handle. I usually swap out anything that's left after 2-3 days. I'm sure there are other good options, that's just what's worked for me so far.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
Roaches are arriving tomorrow, the 2nd when they were scheduled to arrive on the 8th. My egg flats won't be here till the 4th. I am hoping 200 large roaches can fit in 4 egg flats that I have been airing out for about a month and not catch anything off them until the 4th. But on the bright side my water crystals are arriving tomorrow too.
Have a plastic tub set up for them, hole cut for the ceramic heater and holes drilled in to vent out with metal mesh over it. I have it set under the table my Bearded Dragons 40g tank is on, with a sheet going over the sides to help keep heat in. I tested it today and my digital thermostat sad after 2 hours it was right at 90 degrees.
Hopefully everything goes well...

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
Most of the roaches are staying on the bottom of the tub, hiding beneath the egg flats. Is this normal? I thought they preferred to climb up into the egg flats, not huddle together under them.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They spend a lot of time hiding. If you put out some fresh food, maybe a couple of orange slices, and come back in 15 minutes they'll be covering the fresh food.

Nihilist

Hatchling Member
CooperDragon":jrbt7l69 said:
They spend a lot of time hiding. If you put out some fresh food, maybe a couple of orange slices, and come back in 15 minutes they'll be covering the fresh food.

Put oranges, the free food that came with them, and some water crystals in there with them. I can tell they have eaten. I am just worried that they are not using the egg flats and spending all their time on the bottom of the tub. A few are hanging out in the egg flats but thought they all would. Maybe I have the heat too high, but that would mean my digital thermometer is off. Won't be able to spend any money for at least two weeks. Sorry really need this to work.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd just let them be. They like darkness so they may just be hanging out under the housing for now.

roaches love zucchini. also mine eat collard greens completely, nothing left. other greens they just nibble. also bearded dragon pellets, dry cereal like plain bran flakes, cheerios. old bananas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom