Started the New Viv Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
So, Figment is too big for his home. He's growing so fast. Although Fluffy will be ok in hers for a couple more months, I decided it's time to address the permanent viv issue. I already did a massive fake rock project for a 29 gallon tank and don't want to keep building them. So, a permanent home for both.

I've decided on a double. What I'm building will be 6 feet tall and 4 feet wide. The lower home will be about 8-9" off the ground and the other stacked on top. My company is moving to a new location and my boss gave me the old plywood from hurricane prep. Great stuff! I cut all the wood today, plus I spent a bit of time in the hardware store discussing the best hardware and such for this project. I'm really excited and would love to work on sanding the wood tomorrow. Unfortunately it's supposed to be cold (54 for a high - I know, us Floridians are such wimps) and very windy. So, I think it's gonna have to wait for a couple days. But I have begun! All of the wood cut to size and I still have all ten fingers! Yay!!!

Is two weeks way too ambitious for this project? I plan to stain the wood. Plus, I work 60 hrs a week. Hmmmmm... Little Figment may be getting free run of the house more often for a while. LOL

triumphtt

Juvie Member
I think your timeline will work just make sure you do your staining and coating before work and before you sleep that way you don't have to wait for stuff to dry. That is the worst part of those projects is having drying time. Just plan that part out so you can stain and coat everything at once or as much at once as ya can. That way when you are home you can actually work on it instead of paint it for 10 min then the rest of the evening have nothing to do but wait.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Pine, I believe. Certainly not anything fancy or expensive. It's what us Floridians buy when a hurricane is coming and then build stuff out of when we don't need it anymore. :lol:

Blind

Hatchling Member
Hate to crash your cheap viv, but pine is actually dangerous for beardies. It has chemicals that are released when heated up, which leads to respiratory problems. I would recommend going up to Lowes or Home Depot and getting some oak or birch.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok... I got off work two hours ago and have spent a large chunk of that time researching this pine thing. Most of what I'm reading is telling me that it is the oils and such in the pine that causes problems, but that if I seal the wood, then it will alleviate the problem. A couple other things I read were mentioning that the problem is with fresh wood.

Sooooooo... I had already been planning to stain the whole thing. I glossed over that, but definitely planned sealer after the stain. Actually, since it's cheap wood, I was going to put some serious coats of stain and then clear coat to get it a nice dark color and (hopefully) a near glassy finish.

Additionally, the interior will be tile floor and rock sculptures. The rock may be full coverage, but still exhausted from the last one I built, so we shall see...

After reading everything I can find about beardies and pine, it seems that this should be safe. I would greatly appreciate any input from people here on the boards.

Oh... I should mention that my biggest question had been whether to start the staining process before or after assembly. If anyone thinks this will matter pertaining to the health issue, please throw in thoughts on that as well.

Thanks a ton.

szubelak

Juvie Member
I don't really know anything about the whole pine being bad for beardies issue but if it is true that the seal process would solve the problem I would think that sealing both before and after construction would help ensure no "bare" spots - just my 2 cents though

Good Luck - I hope you get better feedback

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Weekend number 2 and the work continues. I got the vent holes cut out and I stained one side of the wood for the three main pieces. I also bought the molding I will need to assemble the vents the way I want to do them.

I got really lucky. Went to my local Ace Hardware to deal with stain because I know the people and they will really talk you through a project if you need the help. The woman in paints today was AMAZING! I was asking general questions about what stains and sealers are good. I ended up telling her what I'm building and it turns out that she has geckos and has done a similar project herself. She already knew all the issues with pine and reptiles and she made sure I had exactly what I needed for the project. I'm really excited because I ended up with totally different stuff than I would have bought on my own. She says what I was looking at would have been fine (and quicker), but seeing why she chose what she did, I will just rest easier and more confident that my babies are safe. Here's a photo of the end of today's work. Sure doesn't look like much considering how hard I've been working.

utf-8BSU1BRzAxMjYuanBn.jpg

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Update! The three main structural pieces to the viv are officially cut, stained, sealed, and outside drying now. The trim pieces for the vent holes are also cut, stained, sealed and drying. Woo-Hoo! It feels so good to have that done. Has taken FOREVER! In another hour, they will be dry enough to move and I will be able to put the three shelf pieces and the facing pieces on the saw horses to begin the sealing process on them. Finally! I feel like I am making some progress! :blob5: :blob8: Woo-Hoo! Woo-Hoo!

PLUS we are moving my store to a new location right now and this week is our official "moving" week. So, I am not at the mercy of store hours and customers. I have a full week of getting the job done and then coming home. That means afternoon time to work on the viv!!!! I am so excited it is ridiculous!!!!!

I might have the base assembly done by the weekend! Holy cow! I can't wait!

Ok. Just had to share. I'm off to do the happy dance for a while. :D

NeosMom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Wow! This is really taking an eternity. During lunch today I put the second coat of sealer on four more viv pieces. Then, after dinner, we put the screen and trim over the "vents" on one side piece. It sounded great, but I look at both coats of sealer on the other side of those pieces, two more pieces that need to be sealed, plus that's only two of six vents done. :? I'm beginning to think I will never get this thing built.

Anybody have any words of encouragement? Has anybody else reached a point of being totally overwhelmed and thinking maybe it can't actually be finished? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom