Star gazing?

ShaylaSolar

Beardie name(s)
Khal Drogo
Hi,

Is it normal for a baby to sleep like this? She’s under a heat emitter. I have never seen her do this while she is awake. I have only had her for 2 weeks so she is still settling in and she isn’t eating to much but she hangs out and basks all day and other than little appetite (which I thought could be due to her still settling in to her new home) and just seeing her sleeping like this, she seems to be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_4794.jpeg
    IMG_4794.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 32

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
Mine sits like this under a basking lamp - but is not sleeping when doing so, it's during day and eyes open. Are you sure she's sleeping and not just having her eyes closed?
I would assume if sleeping her body would get limp when sitting upright, i.e.: would not sit upright anymore, like a human falls over to the front or into the backrest when sleeping on a chair.
I've seen bearded dragons sleeping similarly in a corner, but then their body is propped up by something, i.e. head against the glass or a branch.

Regarding the little appetite: Knowing the kind of lights you use, and the surface basking temperatures would be crucial. Can you measure them with a digital probe thermometer?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Mine sits like this under a basking lamp - but is not sleeping when doing so, it's during day and eyes open. Are you sure she's sleeping and not just having her eyes closed?
I would assume if sleeping her body would get limp when sitting upright, i.e.: would not sit upright anymore, like a human falls over to the front or into the backrest when sleeping on a chair.
I've seen bearded dragons sleeping similarly in a corner, but then their body is propped up by something, i.e. head against the glass or a branch.

Regarding the little appetite: Knowing the kind of lights you use, and the surface basking temperatures would be crucial. Can you measure them with a digital probe thermometer?
Beardies can lock themselves in place when they sleep.

ShaylaSolar

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Khal Drogo
The warm side of her tank stays at 92 with her basking spot temp at 105 and the cool side 85. At night her warm side is at 85 and cool side 79. Im using zoomed 100w basking spot lamp and repti sun 10.0 uvb 24W T5 but I just bought a replacement T8 17W today that I’m going to start using tomorrow because I thought maybe the T5 was so strong because she’s only in a 20 gallon tank.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Hi,

Is it normal for a baby to sleep like this? She’s under a heat emitter. I have never seen her do this while she is awake. I have only had her for 2 weeks so she is still settling in and she isn’t eating to much but she hangs out and basks all day and other than little appetite (which I thought could be due to her still settling in to her new home) and just seeing her sleeping like this, she seems to be fine.
Actual star gazing is a neurological condition associated with ADV. Once it happens it's permanent. Their little heads get stuck like that, it's also called the wasting disease.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Keep the t5 and give her someplace shaded to get out of it. The t5 is a far better light and last twice as long.

ShaylaSolar

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Khal Drogo
Okay , I’m going to try that. I feel like she is settling In and getting used to her surroundings a bit more. I’ve been trying to leave her alone to do her thing for the most part even though it’s killing me! lol. How long can I expect the low appetite due to relocation stress to last?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What is she eating and how much ? BTW each dragon is different, some stay skittish for a while, others can be handled for short periods right away.

ShaylaSolar

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Khal Drogo
The first like 3 or 4 days she ate no problem and then she started to get shy and hold back. My other dragon did the same thing but it didn’t last as long as it is with her.

I feed Dubia as a staple. I dust with calcium w/ D3 3x a week and vitamin 2x. She has eaten a small horn worm or two. I have offered her nutrigrubs, she ate a few. I went and got her crickets the other day and she ate a couple. I offer her a salad everyday even though she has never touched it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, so maybe 7-10 bugs a day ? Even if it's fewer that can be normal for some. Since you have a HO t5 uvb you would use calcium without D3, it's the strong uvb that helps the body produce D3.. You can use it maybe once a week at most, very lightly and use calcium w/out D3 3 X a week. All dusting should be very light.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom