Standard 55 gallon fish aquarium good for bearded dragon???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoxy

Hi everyone. I'm going to get my first bearded dragon, or any reptile for thet matter, pretty soon. I think i have a 55 gallon standard long fish aquarium available from my uncle. Would this be good for a bearded dragon? i figued length will be good but not sure about width. I'll be sure to disinfect the whole aqurium before using it. Also what is the best substrate for a young bearded dragon? Thanks

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Plenty of people use a 55 gallon (tall) for adults and they are happy & healthy, although it's not an ideal tank. The ideal tank would be a 4'x2'x2' tank (a 75 gallon long/breeder) or a 40 gallon long/breeder is minimum (which measures apx. 3'x1.5'x1.5', I think). So, if an adult can live in a 40 breeder, I think a 55 gallon would be just fine, too.

If you are getting a young beardie, you may want to block off some of the tank until he gets a bit larger to help ease any relocation stress he may have. Then, keep you eye out for a good deal on a better tank, either in a pet store that may be having a good sale or craigslist. CL always has great deals, especially if you live in a big metro area. Or, you can build your own enclosure, many think this is the very best option.

As far as substrates go: avoid particle substrates (some say you can use sifted playsand once they are adults, but I will avoid it). Even the calcium sand that says is safe, is NOT SAFE! You can use paper towels, newspaper, non-adhesive shelf liner, or tile (which is the best IMO).

Hope that helps!

RedHandFilms

Sub-Adult Member
A 55 gallon tank is not ideal for an adult dragon. It may sound odd, but a 40 gallon breeder is actually better for them. 55s are generally long, tall, but fairly narrow. The standard 55 is only 12 inches wide. Now, consider that the average adult dragon is 18 inches long. They can have trouble turning around. It's a bit like living in a hallway. A good rule to go by is the tank should be wider than the length of the dragon. So in this case, the 40 breeder is shorter (height is not a big deal for dragons, they don't need to climb much) and not as long, but it is wider. 18 inches wide actually, the same length as a dragon. Now, that being said, bigger is always better, but it is the floor space that is important, not the volume. Most will agree that a 4'x2'x2' is the perfect size. It's also great as a wooden box with glass front can be made from a single sheet of plywood.

Hoxy

Original Poster
ok how about this. I use the 55 gallon tank and block off some of the tank since it is a young one. And after i get used to the rouinte i can work on building a 4'x2'x2' wood box with gls or plexiglass in the front, and make a chicken wire top for it. Would that work better? also what kind and size of decor is best? (most likely purchasing from petmountain.com)

RedHandFilms

Sub-Adult Member
Yea, that would be fine. The 55 gallon will do great until your dragon reaches about 12 inches long. That could give you about 6 months or so. Not sure of the growth rate but they grow up fast.
For building a 4x2x2 check out this thread
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=71756
and this site
http://www.freewebs.com/crossfireenclosures/
It's also good to browse through here for ideas and to see what others have done.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=66704

For furniture, you can use branches and rocks you find outside. Just clean them up some and bake them in the oven at 300*F for 30 minutes to sterilized them.

3cherries

Hatchling Member
Check out this site.. they build custom enclosures.. http://www.customecos.gmrcom.com

I currently have my juvie about 9 inches in a 55 gallon tank, but pretty sure I am going to buy one of these.. seems like a good deal..

found the site on the forum - someone said they bought a tank for their dragon for 100 bucks shipped..

Alright.. i should have read mor eon the site before i jumped the gun.. looks like they don't build the tanks.. but pretty things to go in them! sorry!

Hoxy

Original Poster
its fine. nothin wrong with tryin to help :) ok i have a 4'x2'x1.75' plywood box that my dad had made for a toy box a long time ago in the basement. I could just take that and put a glass pane or plexyglass in the front of it and throw some chicken wire over it. But should i make it taller since its not quite 2' high? also what type of lighting (heat, uvb, whatever else) would be needed for this size of cage? keep in mind i don't have a high budget and don't need/want the best of the best stuff. Just enough to keep a healthy beardie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom