Stabilizing sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momissa

We just switched to slate tile and want to stabilize the tiles and prevent insects from hiding beneath them. We were thinking of using a fine sand, I know this is not a safe substrate but if it is beneath the tiles making it unreachable for our beardie would that be ok?

ruben0311

Juvie Member
the issue you will have is cleaning... if there is a particularly messy poop it will leak down into the sand and, because it will be darker and probably warmer, it will harbor more bacteria than you would really want. how much space are you looking to fill in? if you get the tiles cut to the tank size you shouldnt really have too much space in-between to worry about. Throw some pics our way so we can check it out.

Momissa

Original Poster
I'm not at home but I'll send some pics when I get home, right now this is the only pic I have.
89920-5090212622.jpg

The area I'm struggling with is the edges because of the sealant for the aquarium glass. It prevents the tiles from laying completely flat and all the way to the edge.

Don't mind the mess, were adjusting temperatures and re-doing the basking area.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't run into issues with bugs getting under the tile, but I feed bugs in small batches of a few at a time so they're easy to track. I have the same small cracks at the edges but I've found that makes it easier to pop the tiles out for cleaning. If you want to put something under the tile I'd use something easy to clean rather than sand. I've had good luck using fleece (even on top of the tile to provide a soft surface). The fleece is easy to pull up and just throw in the washer and dryer for cleaning.

Momissa

Original Poster
Fleece is a good idea, I'll try that! I only put in a couple at a time and they end up running quickly to the sides and under. He isn't a very quick eater, he likes to look at it first for a bit then eat it.

Jsw

Hatchling Member
If you know someone with a tile saw, it's relatively simple to round the edges of the tile to fit flush against the tank. That's what I did, and I like it with the tiles very tightly spaced. Very little can fall between the cracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mei mei
Top Bottom