Spots Prolapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Hey there. I am concerned about Spot. She recently prolapsed.. I noticed about 24 hours ago. Since then I have soaked her in a cool sugar water solution (1:3), cleaned the area and kept Vaseline/KY gel on it so that it does not become necrotic. Her prolapse isn't always visible, only occasionally. This happened after a sitter fed her 5 superworms (which she normally does not get that much at once). Since this time, she has pooped, ate and drank. I also have moved so she is stressed due to the move.

Please let me know if there is anything else I could do or if she needs to see a vet right away.

1021727.jpg

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Sorry to hear about Spots prolapse. I dont know anything else to do, other than the sugar water baths, keep it clean and moist, and yes, a vet visit would be the best thing to do.
Hope that Spot does well.

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
update already.. i just gave Spot another cool sugar water soak. Her prolapse looked enlarged. After the soak, I cleaned the area and applied more vaseline, must feel good she closed her eyes. shortly afterwards, she had a small poo. started with a urate that didn't want to pass before the bath and then afterward it passed. I again cleaned the area and applied more vaseline and the prolapse has now retracted. This happens every time after she poo's. Is that a good sign that it retracts?

My parents are taking her to the vet for me. I am going to write a note to the vet to let them know Spots daily care and conditions thus far. I cannot take her myself because I am working 60+ hours a week and am without a car. so... in the meantime is there anything else I can do for her???

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Erin, I dont really know what else to do. You may want to take and put paper towels or something as the substrate, make sure no dirt or anything can get on the prolapse area.

Please Let us know how her vet visit goes. It is great of your parents to take Spot to the vet for you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Erin,

That is too bad about Spot getting a prolapse.
How old is she? Has she ever laid any infertile eggs?
Could she be calcium deficient possibly?
You are doing everything you can right now, short of getting her to the vet. That is so nice of your parents to take her to the vet for you though, very helpful of them.
Yes, that is a good sign that the prolapsed area does go back in. She still has some muscle tone in that area. It is a possibility that she could be low in calcium & that is why her muscles are not fully supporting the area. How often do you use calcium for her?
Why do superworms cause her to have problems? Do they tend to impact her?
Poor girl, I hope she gets to feeling better.

Tracie

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
First of all, thank to both of you for commenting. It is nice to know that people are even reading still haha.

Spot will be 2 years in August. She has never laid infertile eggs and it is my fear that she ever will. Creating a lay box will stress me out. I have felt her to make sure she wasn't impacted. Since I can't feel anything internally I am guessing she is also not carrying eggs. She could possibly be calcium deficient. She has been staying with my parents for the past month or so while I was transitioning between places. They care for her when I go on trips and whatnot and have vet information as well as knowledge from me as to how to care for her. Although, I think I am the one who continues to research and be sure that the proper care is being given. It is easily possible maybe even assumable that the proper vitamins and nutrients were not supplemented in the past month. I have them with me and will supplement continuously. Is it ok for me to dissolve some in water for her to absorb/drink? She has really taken to dunking her head in water and lapping at it daily.
Superworms have never really caused her a problem. I do believe her having 5 in one sitting after only have one or two at a time may have been an overload on her system.

Again, thanks for the information, hopefully I will be able to follow up with some good news SHORTLY

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Erin,

How is Spot doing today? Any improvements?
I hope she is doing better today.
That is fine to mix the supplementation with some water to give her some extra oral fluids. Yes, it is a possibility that she is low in calcium so trying to get some extra calcium into her system may help her out right now.
Maybe they can do an x-ray at the vets just to make sure she doesn't have infertile eggs.
Please keep us posted on her.

Tracie

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I am going to the vet tomorrow evening. Spot's prolapse isn't improving, but it also isn't getting worse. Her muscle tone is still good as her prolapse isn't always visible.

What is it that the vet would to to fix this? Is it medication?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Erin,

I am not really sure what else will be done. I don't know why she prolapsed for unless her muscles internally have suffered from some type of damage somehow.
A blood test should be done to test her calcium levels that would be a good thing to get done. If her levels are low, they can give a calcium booster shot just to help her out & prescribe liquid calcium for her.
Is he appetite good right now?
At least it has not gotten any worse though, that is good. Let us know how the vets visit goes tomorrow.

Tracie

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Her appetite is great right now.. which is kind of surprising.. like I said, I just moved her to my new house a couple days ago. I figured that with the combination of prolapsing and the stress from moving she wouldn't be eating too much. Today was the only day she wasn't very active. I got home about a half hour ago and she was in her cave. I stopped by at lunch to check on her and she was in there then as well. She hasn't eaten today either or at least very much. I'll update again after the vet visit which is in an hour.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Erin,

Yes, please do let us know what the vets say regarding her prolapse. I am sorry she isn't feeling well today. I am thinking about her.

Tracie

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
just got back from the vet. Her fecal test came up negative and so did her x-rays for any blockages. Her calcium levels were great and her bone density was as well. So, they don't know why she prolapsed. They gave me some Panacur and Baytril for any internal issues anyhow. They said there were eggs in the fecal test, but no worms. so.. yeah. They said they don't need to do a follow-up appointment unless she relapses. They said the sugar baths and the vaseline application should do the trick.

Any opinions?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is odd then. So, her bone density was good? That is excellent news to hear.
Sometimes they can prolapse because of worms or parasites too but this isn't the case really, other than the eggs. Perhaps the eggs may have caused some irritation in the GI tract possibly to have affected her in this way. Hopefully, she will not prolapse again. How long will she be on the Baytril? The Panacur should only be given once weekly.
How hard are her urates usually?

Tracie

ErinMeetsMachine

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
her urates are usually hard, but the last one was very soft. She is on Panacur once a week for 2 weeks and the Baytril for 14 days I believe. She is growing though! Shes at 386 grams now I believe. Almost 2 years old!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that is good the last urate was soft. Perhaps the harder urates have caused her to have to strain a little too much which weakened the muscles. So, maybe focus on trying to get those urates softer more consistently & possibly that will help out.
Let us know how she is doing.
She is growing, at 2 years old, that is amazing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom