Spirochetes infection...darn it!

*560 grams and 20 inches
Hello, sorry for the late reply. I don’t even know how to say what I’m about to say. So, my Onyx has been experiencing random spotting of poops with blood in the stool (not bright red). He woke up this morning at 4:30ish a.m scratching around in his carrier (big size) and I took him out to check on him, and all I had on was my tv which I have dimmed during the night. All of a sudden I feel liquid dripping down my arm and on me. I turned the light on quickly to see that he was pooping blood (again, not bright red) and he had also passed a blood clot. I stayed awake with him until my vet opened up at 8am. At this point there was nothing that could be done, his heart rate had decreased dramatically. My boyfriend and I ended up bringing him home so he could pass peacefully in my arms. It has been an absolute heartbreaking day and very sad to say the least. Here is a read up on spirochetes. I would always always strongly recommend that a fecal retest be done, especially when dealing with spirochetes, coccidia or any type of parasite. My Onyx was only a year and a half old. I already miss him so very much and I’m devastated. 💔🌈❤️‍🩹🕊️🦎

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I'm so sorry that you lost your beardie. It's heart breaking i know, I've lost two myself so i know what your going through. Please don't let it turn you off to them, they are amazing. When your ready get another one, and please continue to be a part of this community.

I'm so sorry that you lost your beardie. It's heart breaking i know, I've lost two myself so i know what your going through. Please don't let it turn you off to them, they are amazing. When your ready get another one, and please continue to be a part of this community.
Thank you. It’s definitely not easy and is very heartbreaking. My first dragon Charlie, passed away Oct 30, 2021, he was almost 7 years old and passed away from liver cancer. Onyx was my youngest of my 5 current dragons. My oldest is Miss Lizzy and she’s roughly 10 years old. My Lucky was thought to be a boy since I rescued her on Craigslist since 2016. Lucky started to retain fluid and tests showed that she had a mass growing near her liver and lady bits. So she needed surgery. I also came across Lizzy on Craigslist in 2016. They’re both doing good now. My other one is Eleanor, I’ve had her since 2020 and she’s a bit over 2 years old. Last but not least is Miss Kevin. Yes, Miss Kevin is her name because the previous owner who couldn’t continue caring for her, named her Kevin. So when my vet heckled her out, she was like “well, looks like you’ve got a Miss Kevin” I was like well well, ok then. I’ve been taking care of dragons for the past 11 years and I always enjoy helping others with their dragons.

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
Thank you. It’s definitely not easy and is very heartbreaking. My first dragon Charlie, passed away Oct 30, 2021, he was almost 7 years old and passed away from liver cancer. Onyx was my youngest of my 5 current dragons. My oldest is Miss Lizzy and she’s roughly 10 years old. My Lucky was thought to be a boy since I rescued her on Craigslist since 2016. Lucky started to retain fluid and tests showed that she had a mass growing near her liver and lady bits. So she needed surgery. I also came across Lizzy on Craigslist in 2016. They’re both doing good now. My other one is Eleanor, I’ve had her since 2020 and she’s a bit over 2 years old. Last but not least is Miss Kevin. Yes, Miss Kevin is her name because the previous owner who couldn’t continue caring for her, named her Kevin. So when my vet heckled her out, she was like “well, looks like you’ve got a Miss Kevin” I was like well well, ok then. I’ve been taking care of dragons for the past 11 years and I always enjoy helping others with their dragons.
Oh gosh, I am so very sorry. This must have been devastating.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I have 5 myself, i love each and every one. I've had 7 total. They range from 1 year old to 4 and a half. I'm glad you have other dragons, i know it won't stop the hurt of loosing one, but it may ease it and help you move past it. They truely do have a way of bringing comfort to us.

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
The odd thing about this bug, is there is literally no literature about this positive stool reading, and ANYTHING about beardies.

The literature is about birds, and the infection is in their pharnyx (throat).
I have never seen anything like this (peer reviewed articles), causing death in beardies.

I feel horrible about the loss of a beardie with a positive stool sample.

The odd thing is that the infection attacks the throat...none of this makes sense.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry that you lost Onyx! :cry: To be honest, I don't have a good feeling about
this at all. I almost feel as if he might have been overmedicated perhaps. He was doing pretty well
before starting on the meds, correct?
I hate to hear this. I am so glad that he wasn't alone but was with you.

My condolences to you.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom