Spicing Up The Tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfbeam

Hello,

I am thinking of refreshing the decor in my beardies tank!

Any Help?

I was thinking maybe some polystyrene form to structure some rocks, with a cave in it, and on the side of it have a little "Cup" Like thing with rocks ( Drainage ) And a screen mesh over top, then have dirt over that, then plant grass in the dirt! ( the Rocks, Mesh, & Dirt Would Be Surrounded By Styrofoam)

Comment What You Think!

Show Me Some Pictures Of Your Tanks!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
You may find your dragon tramples or eats any plants you try to grow. It may be worth trying though, why not :) some people have luck growing things in pots in with their dragons - a little less construction work if you decide to experiment. You'll want to be sure whatever you plant is edible.

There are some stunning fake rock setups out there - I'm working myself up to make a full cage one for my snakes.

With my dragon, I use a soil substrate with leaf litter - the leaves get trampled and pushed around all the time - I've thought about plants but don't see it working for me. I do like the leaves though, and might still use them if I ever switch off the soil.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
You can use fake plants, which will be sturdier and not get trampled as easily, plus they don't need water.

I actually really like fake grasses for beardie enclosures, rather than cacti or similar plants, and a few creeping viney type plants also can look cool.

We of course have a bunch, but you can look all over the place for cool artificial plants to add to your enclosure.

Another neat idea (if you have an alternate cage you can use while building this one) is to silicone cork flats against the back to make a 3D sort of background. I'm talking breaking up a few big pieces and siliconing them in a slant, kind of like tiles on the roof of a house. That will create another place for your beardie to climb up and sit on, and with it being slanted, he can even perch up there like a basking platform if he wants. :)

I am a big fan of cork flats and rounds instead of rocks, as the cork is much easier to move around and clean (and less of a hazard if it gets knocked over onto the beardie), but if you can get a bunch of cool looking rocks and leaf litter like Taterbug did, that cage looks neat too IMO.

Good luck! Have fun! And of course post pics when you're done :)

-Jen

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I like your naturalistic decor Tater, looks like a real dragon's stomping grounds. I've always had both fake and live plants in some of my critter's tanks [ back when I had day geckos and emerald swifts ] But I can't put any in my dragon's tanks, they will try to chomp the fake ones, so it could be an impaction hazard . There was a poster on here a few weeks back asking for advice for her dragon that had ingested a fake leaf.....so just be aware that can happen.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
AHBD":3iuwokwz said:
I like your naturalistic decor Tater, looks like a real dragon's stomping grounds. I've always had both fake and live plants in some of my critter's tanks [ back when I had day geckos and emerald swifts ] But I can't put any in my dragon's tanks, they will try to chomp the fake ones, so it could be an impaction hazard . There was a poster on here a few weeks back asking for advice for her dragon that had ingested a fake leaf.....so just be aware that can happen.

Thanks!
How did you like day geckos? They are pretty charming looking, do they make good pets? (even just looking at pets)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
To me they were adorable, I had the lined day geckos as well as the gold dust, and for sheer beauty the gold dust geckos were just eye popping. They don't really like to be handled, but I enjoyed setting up terrariums and just watching them, they ate well and were interesting little guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom