Speedy Wont Eat Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

killbee

I just got Speedy a little over a week ago from a breeder in Minn. He looks great and began eating criketts, Phionex worms, and his veggies right away. He eats his veggies from a bowl and is usually had fed the worms and cricketts. He's been eating about 50 cricketts, 20 worms and a small amout of veggies a day. I have been feeding him 3 times a day each day. I had to start out with a reg spot light for basking and a plain flouresent tube for light for about 4 days because my order was late. I placed a 18" ReptiSun 10.0 in his Viv alsong with a Zoo Med 100 Watt Halogen spot for basking. The basking spot is 105 deg and the cool side is 81 deg at night it cools to 75 to 78. I got up this morning and he wont eat at all. I have tried cricketts, worms, and veggies. He had a real big meal of cricketts for supper last night about an hour before the lights went out and he was fine. Now today nothing, just hanging between the basking area and the cool side. Is he just full still from last night or is something wrong? He still doesnt like to be held but he has let me pet his head and back most of the morning. Just dont wont anything to be wrong with the little guy or do anything to hurt him since I'm new to the Beardies.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Hi! :wave:

It sounds like you have your viv well in order. A couple of thing to check: with what and how are you going about gauging temps? Temp gun, digital with probe? If you're using a probe to get temps, are you leaving the sensor on the basking spot for 45 minutes before reading temp? If he's avoiding the basking area, sometimes that's a sign that temps are high. Something to check at any rate.

Aside from that, if you're going to feed him in the evening, make sure to give him at least 1 1/2 hours (2+ is ideal) to digest. Little ones eat SO MUCH in a sitting, so adequate basking time is essential. Has he pooped today? Could be he needs to process the last meal before taking on another, and so basking is of course, crucial for him... let us know how temps are looking, and how you're going about gauging them.

Thanks! :)

Em

killbee

Original Poster
Embee":edfe6 said:

It sounds like you have your viv well in order. A couple of thing to check: with what and how are you going about gauging temps? Temp gun, digital with probe? If you're using a probe to get temps, are you leaving the sensor on the basking spot for 45 minutes before reading temp? If he's avoiding the basking area, sometimes that's a sign that temps are high. Something to check at any rate.

Aside from that, if you're going to feed him in the evening, make sure to give him at least 1 1/2 hours (2+ is ideal) to digest. Little ones eat SO MUCH in a sitting, so adequate basking time is essential. Has he pooped today? Could be he needs to process the last meal before taking on another, and so basking is of course, crucial for him... let us know how temps are looking, and how you're going about gauging them.

Em
Temps are read with digital gauges, basking probe is directly on the basking spot mounted to the rock. he did poop yesterday around noon but didnt eat at all. I did notice that he is begining to shed some, maybe this has slowed his eating. I was finally able to get him in a bath for about 2 minutes yesterday and wil try again today. hopefully he'll eat when he gets up.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
killbee":2a8ac said:
Embee":2a8ac said:

Em
Temps are read with digital gauges, basking probe is directly on the basking spot mounted to the rock. he did poop yesterday around noon but didnt eat at all. I did notice that he is begining to shed some, maybe this has slowed his eating. I was finally able to get him in a bath for about 2 minutes yesterday and wil try again today. hopefully he'll eat when he gets up.

The lighting and temps sound good then, so no worries there. Shedding can certainly cause a slight dip in appetite for many beardies. Keep trying on the baths, as they are so important in keeping them properly hydrated. If it helps, I find it's best to have beardie out and about for a bit BEFORE putting her in the bath. If she's had a chance to cool down from the viv, the bath then feels good, nice and warm. If she's coming right from the basking spot however, the bath water tends to be jarring and has her running to escape.

Let us know how he is doing today. :)

Em

killbee

Original Poster
My son got him in a good 5 min soak this morning and he ate about 4 cricketts for me this afternoon. He's still very skiddish and not very active but at least he ate some today and a poop and pee. Looks like he's probably a little stressed from the start of a shed. I also added a couple of white 25 watt compact flouresents to the viv to give a little more light than the UV bulbs were giving. Maybe this will boost his energy some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseSkull
Top Bottom