Spaying a Beardie? Pros/cons/experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

discojan

Juvie Member
Hello BD community,

Please forgive the multiple posts today; I'm just worried sick about our baby girl post-prolaspse. So after the vet did the emergency putting -back of the colon, she suggested we consider spaying Electra. Electra is nearly 5 years old. She didn't lay at all the first two years of her life (as I understand from her original owners). The year we adopted her (in 2010) , she laid four clutches, last year she laid five, and this year, so far she has laid four. I worry she has one more in her :(

She is generally a very vivacious, amiable, and hearty girl--she loves to eat and when it is not laying season ranges from 600--700 grams at 22 + inches head to tail. She is sociable and loves to play and be at our side.

I worry about putting her through such a procedure, but now that I've had some time to read through some of the past posts about prolapses/egglaying, it seems like all the laying of infertile eggs is very, very hard on their lizard bodies.

Our set up is good, she's got a reptisun light, and good temperature gradient, and she eats voraciously. In fact, while we were trying to get ahold of the vet, she managed to drag her little prolapsed self over to the food bowl to snack on some butteworms and greens.She gets regular calcium and multivitamin supplements. She is on a varied died--lots of collards, some fruit treats now and again (berries, banana, whatever is listed as good on beautiful dragons' list of foods).

Has anyone spayed their beardie, and if so, how did she recover?
Is this a common recommendation for active infertile layers (or as we like to affectionately call her, our lizard chicken)?

We would be extremely grateful for any advice.

Best wishes, J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom