Space between the eyes..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Komodo904

Hello everyone,

I had a question regarding cricket size. I keep hearing not to feed them anything bigger than the space between their eyes, but can anyone elaborate on that for me? Is that the length of the cricket compared to the width of their eyes, or the width of the cricket compared to the width of their eyes? Also what if the cricket's bodies are smaller than the width, but the legs make it bigger?

I just bought a 1000 crickets from a farm thinking my little guy was ready for the next size, but this might not be the case

TheGuvnor

Its the width. For example, My adult beardie will eat full adult locust no worries. Obviously these in length are far far greater that the gap between the eye rule. But width, its all good. Same with large crickets and Dubia. No problems, As long as the remember to chew 8)

Sheena

Its the distance between the eyes look down on your beardie So its like this.

Left eye o-----o right eye anything that is the same size roughly is fine. The reason we say that is because it can cause impaction later if the food item is too big.

Beardies don't have a problem chewing things up, its later you have to think about. Just use common sense

bobbycarp

Hatchling Member
I've been wondering that myself lately. On one hand width doesn't make sense because our 5 month old could clearly eat medium-large crickets then. On the other hand his reptiworms are often longer then the space between his eyes and he has no problems from eating them. To me it's a guide to avoid potential problems in the youngin's until their digestive tract straightens out as they get older. Ours get's very interested in bugs much bigger then the rule. He has chased more then one wolf spider bigger then his entire head. I just can't see ours chewing up a big bug very well. Seems in mouth, down throat, and in belly is what matters most to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom