South Africa and Beardies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesOzzy

Hatchling Member
Hey guys, I have recently moved from Ireland to South Africa. For the past year I have owned two Bearded Dragons, Ozzy and Biffy.
When I left Ireland I was forced to find new homes for my little guys, Ozzy was adopted by my ex girlfriend, and Biffy went to a reptile enthusiast. (My dog moved in with close family friends)
It's been about three months since I said goodbye to all of my pets, and I really am missing them. So today I went out and explored a few pet stores. I discovered some very reasonably priced tanks, UVB's, Beardies, and Spot lamps.

So, now I have Beardy fever again, and since I'm sort of on my feet with a job, and soon to have a place of my own. Well, I'd like some advice on keeping Beardies in the southern hemisphere.
To be honest, I'd like any advice at all, my previous Bearded Dragons were healthy, large and active, but, I'm sure I'm far from the perfect owner.

This time I want to prepare my Viv, sort out lighting, and create an awesome environment before I bring home my Beardie.

So yeah, fire away, all advice, suggestions and warnings are welcome and appreciated!

my1stBD

Juvie Member
Hi there

Whereabouts in SA do you stay as climates within SA borders differ from province to province and would affect the husbandry

my1stBD

Juvie Member
Ooooh yummy so basically hot and humid, hehehe

Youre lucky, one of the biggest reptile live feeder suppliers is stationed in Natal, theyre called Herpetology Africa, sell crickets, supers and roaches. Excellent quality, price and service. I used them till my superworm and roach colonies got established.

As for heating and stuff, you get the reptisun tubes here but theyre crazy priced, between R400 and R500 a tube and MVB's are even more expensive, then theres exxo terra, a wee bit better price wise and the most common, bulb is from Repti Zoo. I have used both Repti Zoo and Repti sun, no issues with either.

For heat, i buy spotlamps at Builders warehouse (or Pick n Pay), theyve recently introduced a 28W Hallogen spot that keeps my basking site at between 38 and 44C..... awesome since it cuts down on electricity bills :D
In winter i run a CHE for night time heat as it gets real cold here in Gauteng, but my friend who stays in Natal said his temps dont drop that low. I also up the watts on my basking bulb in winter to a 60W to compensate for the low temps.

Substrate, well thats a personal choice issue, I like textured ceramic tile as its easy to clean and keeps mines nails filed down. Have used the repti carpet but its almost as much work as sand to keep clean and sterile. SAnd is also not recommended for babies, and i know some ppl who use it with adults. As said, personal choice.

Any other questions???? Feel free to ask. Ill help where i can. If you want more area specific advise i can ask my friend in Durbs to contact you

WesOzzy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey thanks for the reply! :D Really appreciate the info on the live food, was becoming a bit concerned because the pet stores around here seem kind of under stocked, having only the smallest crickets or hissing roaches. I'll definitely have to check that place out.
Temperatures do stay fairly constant here, I'm considering getting one of those ceramic heat emitters for winter (just in case).
As for substrate I'd only ever go with ceramic tile, I also tried repti carpet, poop and fibers don't go so well together. :p

One other thing I'd really like to know about is the veg. In Ireland I battled to find anything other then rocket leaf and squash. I'd assume SA has more to offer?

Oh! Silkworms!! I've read that they are fantastic for Beardies? Would that supplier sell them as well?

Thanks very much or the info, much appreciated :)

my1stBD

Juvie Member
Oooh veggies, yeah its a PITA here to get. Most of the time its just lettuces, no use to them at all except moisture Grrrrrrrr, makes me so mad. Seldom do i find rocket and the other stuff never. I dont really feed mne herbs but basil, cillantro, corriander and rosemary can be found easilly.

I basically grow my own in pots on the porch, i buy mustard, rocket, swiss chard, nastirtium, carrot and turnip seeds. The carrot and turnips i grow for the tops, i dont feed the fruit part to mine. In stores i get a salad mix called Four seasons mix (Its basically a bunch of lettuces that i add for moisture)

Some stores discard of the carrot tops, you can ask at places like Fuit and Veg for them, theyre usually kept in the back and most of the time they give it to you.

Then i buy butternut, patty pans, sweet potatoe, green and red peppers, green beans and snap peas to add as variety and i think ppl recon Im a freak cos i go to Pick n Pays pre maid salad section and hit up the fruit salad, there i pick out the yummy stuff as treats like melon, apple, grape, watermelon, and i buy kiwi fruit cos mine goes bonlers for them hehehehe

Now on to silkworms.........They are awesome, they reduce arterial placque, are nutritios and soft bodied and mine loves them, especially the stripey ones haha, shes fussy

Wait till nxt spring, youll see theyre available almost everywhere, kids breed them as pets and sell them off, and petstores have but theyre expensive as hell. I fortunately have 2 kids who get at school, so last year i kept a few to pupate and lay eggs. Eggs can be kept in a ziploc baggie in the fridge for up to 5 years, so i basically have about 3000 eggs in the fridge that i can use as needed. I simly take out a few and let them hatch, if i need more i take out more if ive had enough or the mullberry trees lose their leaves i stop taking out. SO i grow my own silks as well.

Theres an online store called Reptile City that stocks an artificial silkworm chow if you want to feed them out of season

Hope this made sense, i tend to think faster than i can type and end up rambling :wink:

WesOzzy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Awesome :D thank you! I'm getting a little too excited about this now, considering it might be a while before I can get my new little guy!
I think I'll definitely attempt to breed my own silk worms, and dubia roaches too if possible.
Thanks for your help, I cant wait to get started, might buy the tank tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom