SOS. Abandoned Beardie Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I hope the poo little dragon is still hanging on.

I've been in touch with VetaFarm and they replied
Below is our distributor in Singapore, if your friend has any problems obtaining stock please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Goodwill Birds Trading

Ph: 65 62855003

http://www.gwbirds.com.sg

If your friend is looking for interim products to try and sustain the lizard I do recommend those liquid baby foods that you can purchase, I am not sure what is available in Singapore, but organic and low or no sugar is important, pumpkin and vegetable flavours are best, try to avoid baby foods with “meats” in them however. If the lizard is strong enough to eat on his own, offering green leafy vegetables like kale and rocket is a great idea and using live food too, crickets and cockroaches. Even if they are currently not dusted with Multical Dust, in the very least getting food into him is essential.

mikeLB

Original Poster
She's doing well so far i feel. really tough to get her to open up and eat some mashed vege but feeding her water isn't a problem.

Gave her a warm bath earlier and when i brought her out and held her in my hand for about 2-3 minutes, she dribbled a long line of slimy saliva. Is this normal?

Thanks.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
mikeLB":36yt2z6q said:
She's doing well so far i feel. really tough to get her to open up and eat some mashed vege but feeding her water isn't a problem.

Gave her a warm bath earlier and when i brought her out and held her in my hand for about 2-3 minutes, she dribbled a long line of slimy saliva. Is this normal?

Thanks.

I/m glad she's still hanging in there. Have you taken her to a vet yet ?

Oh my, she may have inhaled some of the bath water - hope not - that can result in a serious respiratory infection (pneumonia) , she may already have one if she's dribbling like that , maybe one of the more experienced keepers here might know more, but I'd lay off with the baths for, infact he might need to be seen by a vet to get onto a antibiotic treatment + F10 nebulisation to treat her if she has a RI or URI.

Feeding :
one trick an experienced keeper described here for feeding a lizard who WILL NOT open it's mouth is to get some plastic coated playing card , fold one of them into halves, cut a hole in the middle of the fold that's big enough for the food item (bugs being used) to go through .
Slip the folded card between the lips and teeth and then slightly unfold the card (while still in the mouth) and slip the food item into the mouth via the hole and then pull the card out of the mouth , lizard should then eat the food item that's in it's mouth.

Another option is to make purees of his food, need to like a fine lumpy slurry , and obtain a feeding syringe from the vet or a pet shop (like http://www.vetnpetdirect.com.au/reusable_feeding_syringe_birds?gclid=Cj0KEQiAqdLDBRDD-b2sv6-i6MsBEiQAkT3wAvKiEU00HWVbndMGOvq7Gv7ZDfWNqXRdpBNRR0InyUEaAgoN8P8HAQ&gdfms=18A2B698C33E416AA2B16F3F2F437415&gdffi=10600f223f474e1c9ae213f32fb3a662 and should be available from the vet or a really good pet shop.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
mikeLB":203bq0fa said:

<<< what veg are you using , I think you might need to get hold of some this (from a vet) reptile carnivore critical care
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1609

Gave her a warm bath earlier and when i brought her out and held her in my hand for about 2-3 minutes, she dribbled a long line of slimy saliva. Is this normal? <<< don't sound very good to me.

Thanks.

I suggest maybe Herpaboost (is a slurry).

Skipper7

Juvie Member
I found a link to a pretty good looking slurry recipe. However, I would suggest a few additions.

First, add a tiny pinch of bee pollen. This is a good all-around immune system booster.
Second, Colloidal silver. It is generally recognized as the best natural antibiotic. It is absorbed into the bloodstream before it gets to the stomach. AKA, it won't kill good gut flora.

Here's the link to the base recipe: http://www.rioreptiles.com/slurries.html

Whatever you wind up going with, whether it be reccomendations from here or elsewhere, I would strongly reccomend adding bee pollen and colloidal silver to the slurry mix.

As for aspirating water, I don't want to contradict nobby. He is much more experienced than I am.
However, I do have a couple reccomendations:
1. If he aspirated water, try propping him up on a slight angle so his head is facing downwards. It should help drain him as beardies can't cough the same way we can.
2. Nobby is 100% correct about possibly having an RI. Colloidal silver may be able to help either orally or nebulized I'm not sure about nebulization. Hopefully someone else can chime in. You should also keep nighttime temps a little bit higher to help the immune system in the case of an RI.

Again, not trying to contradict anyone.

This site helps explain what many supplements are. http://www.northerndragons.info/44636584 Serrpeptase might also be worth adding.

You can buy supplements here. This site is actually owned by Tracie (Drache13) who is a mod on these forums. http://www.bug-de-lite.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=splash

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing?
Everyone has given lots of great advice thus far!
Since she had so much saliva, that can be concerning, but sometimes after a bath they can drink too much & have excess saliva also.
How is her appetite doing?

Keep us posted on her.
Tracie

Feeding :
one trick an experienced keeper described here for feeding a lizard who WILL NOT open it's mouth is to get some plastic coated playing card , fold one of them into halves, cut a hole in the middle of the fold that's big enough for the food item (bugs being used) to go through .
Slip the folded card between the lips and teeth and then slightly unfold the card (while still in the mouth) and slip the food item into the mouth via the hole and then pull the card out of the mouth , lizard should then eat the food item that's in it's mouth.

Omg this trick, I will remember this one at work!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things coming along with your girl? I hope she is starting to feel better & that you're able to get enough food into her.
Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom