Sorting out tiny dubia roaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Hey there. So I'm planning on getting a baby beardie here soon (MAYBE tomorrow depending on how things go...) and I've got a very plentiful dubia roach colony which will feed the baby. I might also pick up some calciworms too just for variation. I'm just wondering if there's an easier way to sort out enough baby roaches or if I just have to pick them out by hand haha. I know there are some sort of bottle sorters people make on here to sort out the different sized roaches, but I'm not really sure how to make one of those.

Currently I've just put a bunch of female roaches that look like thye're about to have babies in a seperate container with a couple of boys and some other mixed sizes (including tiny babies).

There's got to be a more time efficient way to do this! Especially if baby dragon is going to eat, what, 50 or more roaches a day? (I'm not sure how many baby dragons eat of roaches. I know they can eat upwards of 100 crickets a day, but dubias are not crickets)

Any tips?

I saw on a dubia site that they would sift the roaches with plastic bins that had holes for the size they wanted. Kind of like panning for gold :)

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'll have to make something eventually haha. At the moment I just hand sorted some out....

Also... I sort of just bought this guy today haha. Whoops. Looks like I got him a littler earlier than planned! He happily gobbled up the roaches I offered him when we got home.
10882205_592561620876069_9139516234836993464_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom