Soon-to-be Owner with a few questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanthur34

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, I just got back from an unsuccessful hunt for a good 75 watt bulb. All the ones I found were either power savers (which I doubt would work for a beardie) or a 'reveal' bulb that filters out yellow light. I didn't want to take any chances, so I just left emptyhanded.

But hey! If 104-105 will work, I'm all set! I guess I could add in the CHE if you REALLY insist it needs to be hotter.

No, I don't have a beardy picked out yet. I'm going to go tomorrow and look for a healthy-looking one. I've read all the tips here for picking them out, but do you have any other tips that might not have been mentioned? I know to look for one that's aware, no visible burns or cuts, no parasites (ick), not lethargic, and no goop anywhere (also ick). I can't wait ^_^

Xanthur34

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, I just got back from an unsuccessful hunt for a good 75 watt bulb. All the ones I found were either power savers (which I doubt would work for a beardie) or a 'reveal' bulb that filters out yellow light. I didn't want to take any chances, so I just left emptyhanded.

But hey! If 104-105 will work, I'm all set! I guess I could add in the CHE if you REALLY insist it needs to be hotter.

No, I don't have a beardy picked out yet. I'm going to go tomorrow and look for a healthy-looking one. I've read all the tips here for picking them out, but do you have any other tips that might not have been mentioned? I know to look for one that's aware, no visible burns or cuts, no parasites (ick), not lethargic, and no goop anywhere (also ick). I can't wait ^_^

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
Good luck picking one out. Pip picked us out at the front of the cage doing the beardy dance. We thought she was so cute and had to have her. Are you going to a breeder or a pet store?

Xanthur34

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, it looks like I won't be picking it up today, so I may as well ask a last minute question. How long would crickets I buy from the store live and how should I keep them in preparation. I bet you don't freeze them, right?

Jess

Extreme Poster
Well, I could never keep crickets alive for more than a week. :| Im sure other people have had better luck than me though! Ive also heard that the ones ordered online will live longer.
Its a good idea to keep them heated (I just stuck a human heat pad under mines aquarium) and clean out the dead ones often because the dead ones let off fumes that will kill the others. You can gut load them with veggies your beardie eats, potatoes, dog food, alfalfa based rabbit food, fish food, store bought gut load... ect. They should have egg cartons to climb on too.
Dont freeze them, unless you want to slow them down for your beardie. You can stick them in the freezer for a minute of 2 before you give them to your beardie so they arent as fast if you want.

Cant wait for pics of your new beardie! (Hint hint :wink:) What store are you getting it from? When I went to Petsmart last, they actually had some super healthy looking ones. :D

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
Well, I could never keep crickets alive for more than a week. Im sure other people have had better luck than me though! Ive also heard that the ones ordered online will live longer.
Its a good idea to keep them heated (I just stuck a human heat pad under mines aquarium)

Hi, I don't mean to intrude, but just want to help out. I've never used heat on the crickets and have had a lot of success keeping them alive for several weeks until they're all eaten up :) . I keep 1000 crickets in a 5 gallon glass tank with screen lid (must be well ventilated) in our basement (69-72 degrees). Also use a lot of paper towel rolls so they can hide and don't trample on each other. I got a great inexpensive idea from the breeder I got Luther from - homemade cricket food: blend up half quaker oats and half high-protein dog food. This will last a LONG time. And of course water crystals for the crickets to drink. Make sure the enclosure for the crickets stays dry and well ventilated to keep the odor down. Unless my nose goes right down in the tank, the smell really isnt too bad (sometimes I even hold me breath lol)

Just a little over 3 months ago I was totally overwhelmed with all the lighting, set up, feeders, substrates, vivs, too. Hang in there. It sounds like your doing your research. It is so worth it! :blob5:

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
I order my crickets from a pet store. They don't charge me shipping and I get 1000 for 17.50 I have only bought three boxes and its been a little over a month. The first box lasted only a week but I think its because I cleaned out the dead bodies. I left them alone and the smell is not too bad. It seemed like they ate all the carcasses because when I cleaned it out yesterday to make room for the new crickets I got today the bodies were just little specs and it seemed like dark sand at the bottom. They lasted over two weeks and are still around even though I bought another 1000 today. I had about 200 still left. (And I feed two greedy beardys :D )

You don't necessarily have to do the Bin. When I first started, for the first two months since my beardy was small, I used one of those pet store cricket keepers. Has two black tubes and it should be brown. I think it was around 10 dollars. I would keep about 48 crickets in there and they would last me maybe three days before Pip ate them all. (thats back when I just had Pip) I would take a slice of a potato or apple and stick it in there. You have to give them a fresh slice everyday. It really all depends on the cricket batch to see how long they last, I think because sometimes I would buy the 48 or so crickets and then they would all die within a day and sometimes they would last a week.

Its hard to figure out a system but if you don't want to trouble with cricket bins and such at first I would suggest the cricket keeper. I still use it once in a while when I run low on crickets from my bin. I was just spending so much money at the pet store 10 cents a cricket...and 10 would die and I wasted one dollar. Also Pip's appetite changed and she was eating 48 in a day....so I just went with the bin and so far its working well.

At my pet store they have this feeder food called total bites. I use that to feed and water my crickets. It makes them nice and fat and juicy and my beardies love them. I fed 2000 crickets so far with just one bag.
Here is a link to the product: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754881

Whatever you decide just know crickets are dirty insects and they smell. Bins can be very potent....heh but its worth not going to the pet store everyday.

Bradleyv1714

Hatchling Member
Wow! this is A LOT of information that even sometimes I was doubting my ste-up. lol! but you got everything under control now!

I currently buy 500 crickets from a guy that delivers them right to my door for 12.50 the only thing that I have been noticing since I have started buying from him is that my beardie doesnt eat them all that much and they tend to die quicker than the ones that I buy from pet supermarket but w/e! I keep them in a huge Rubbermaid tub with egg crates and paper towel rolls but when I run out of these I am going to start a dubia colony I am tired of spending 12.50 every 2 weeks or so... depending on Ace's appetite! but I am also making a superworm colony (if I can call it that) he loves them and for the mean time I have ENOUGH of those to supply him until the dubia's start Multiplying like crazy!

Xanthur34

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ay ay ay! This is quite a lot to comprehend!

Well, for starters, I don't want to be keeping a cricket aquarium. I'd rather just buy them, store them somwhere, and then give them to the beardie when it's feeding time. I don't really want to be 'taking care' of the crickets themselves... Any input here? I might buy a cricket keeper you mentioned. I suppose feeding them an apple slice or potato slice a day won't kill me.

I have another question though. I guess you all seem intent on seeing some pictures, so could someone explain to me how to post them here, please? I'd like to show you my viv and see what you think, and of course some of those sure-to-be-priceless baby pictures.

Here's a fun fact, too. I had originally wanted to name the beardie Ivan, but now I've decided on calling it Kritz. I think that's a great multi-gender name.

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
If you open a photobucket account (do a google search) and download your pictures to that. Then just click on the "Img" feature to the left of your image and that will copy it. Then come back on this site and "paste" it. You'll see something similar to this:
[IMGhttp://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af198/healthybeardie/tank%20stand/DSCN3059.jpg[/IMG]
Then, once you "submit" like you normally do to post something on here, you will see your image.

Photobucket doesnt cost anything and if I can figure it out, anyone can. It may take a little time playing around to figure it out though.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
well you need to gut load the crickets, thus why you need to give them the potato or carrot and water. THis way your dragon gets the best nutrients in his protein for his meal

Jess

Extreme Poster
healthybeardie":kq227piw said:
Hi, I don't mean to intrude, but just want to help out. I've never used heat on the crickets and have had a lot of success keeping them alive for several weeks until they're all eaten up :) . I keep 1000 crickets in a 5 gallon glass tank with screen lid (must be well ventilated) in our basement (69-72 degrees).

:Mine always seemed to live longer when I gave them the heating pad... I generally failed at keeping crickets though, so my advice should probably be ignored LOL.:roll:
I can keep super worms alive though! Yay! :lol:

Valex

Hatchling Member
Well to keep the crickets alive(im good at this) the tank must be right around 80*, and you must feed them, and water them(I actually feed them those "beardie pellets", and water crystals(they drown in regular water) They're not much of a hasle. They get to my house(I order them), I dump them, and their egg crate in the cage. Poor in some pellets, and my dragons left over salads, drop some water crystals, and forget about them until feeding time.

Now, unless your a millionaire, you shoud order them, and do this ^^^^^^. Because buying crix from a pet store for a baby is rediculous, they have to be fed 2-3X's a day, as much as they can eat. My babies both ate about 100 + a day, and from a pet store that would cost (petsmart= about $15 a day, $105 dollars a week)... OR.. you could order 1000 online for $20 w/ shipping, which would last you a week, maybe two. Its a much better deal, especially with those crazy hungry baby tummies! (why in the world do I want another one?!)

Good luck, and PM me if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cold3231
Top Bottom