Something to discuss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimleo

Juvie Member
This isn't really a problem(other than the fact that I miss my babies :/) but I have an 8 month old and a 7 month old and both went into brumation a bit over a month ago.

Now I've read(on this site, so that's probably why I'm asking) that beardies do not normally brumate when they are younger(under a year old). I've seen people say something like, "my beardies are too young to brumate," but since mine have gone down pretty early, I was wondering if it's not just age. Is it something else perhaps that triggers their need to brumate?

Maybe someone can clear this up for me? Or maybe someone else is going through the same thing? Any answers will be appreciated.

Thanks for reading. :)

mccallumpiper

Hatchling Member
Very good question as I am in the same boat. I have read that each dragon is different (of course) and some have a natural pull to want to brumate whenever they feel the need. So if their natural pull to brumate is very strong they could brumate earlier. These are just things I have read that made sense to me. I am just throwing the idea out there but I would love to hear what someone with more knowledge thinks.

Livey

Extreme Poster
Weather? but im not sure,
Autumn Missed here, just went from summer straight for spring! its freezing! we had a forecast of snow the other day..
Mine are all starting to slow down now..
Whats the weather like near you?

everhood13

Juvie Member
I know that in most animals and in plants it is the changing light levels of the seasons that prompt hibernation, migration or color change. This could be true of beardies as well.

Grimleo

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Livey":xgxve878 said:
Weather? but im not sure,
Autumn Missed here, just went from summer straight for spring! its freezing! we had a forecast of snow the other day..
Mine are all starting to slow down now..
Whats the weather like near you?

Even more confusing, my babies went down when the temps were still in the 80-90s. Even the nights were in the 60s and maybe in the 50s. Only now is it starting to really cool down, but since they went down in warm weather it couldn't be just because they needed to, right?

everhood13":xgxve878 said:
I know that in most animals and in plants it is the changing light levels of the seasons that prompt hibernation, migration or color change. This could be true of beardies as well.

That makes sense. But maybe a family of beardies lives in a specific locale and that locale will get colder sooner in the year than other locales? A family of beardies could even be living on the other side of a mountain where the sun would hit that side of the mountain at a completely different time than on the other side where a different family of beardies lives. Maybe I'm totally wrong but maybe it could even run in the family? :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom