Something stuck in Beardies Bum HELP !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelbert91

please help !
I have a 3 year old little boy called Terry :)
He is a happy little fellow, has no problem being held.

Last night he had his first poop in a few days and when he pooped a big long yellow hard thing came out too, I had a little look online and seem to believe it could be a sperm plug. But since last night he has had a white rubbery string poking out of his vent. It doesn't seem to be causing him any discomfort as he is still running and climbing everywhere. But this morning the stringy thing has gone brown and crusty. An ideas what it could be ?

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Hello,

My guy had this awhile as well, it sounds like a sperm plug. What you mentioned earlier sounded like a urate, which from your description sounds like he could be dehydrated. The stringy thing is most likely sperm plugs however. How often do you bathe him?

Nelbert91

Original Poster
Hi thanks for the reply :)

Basically I have only had him for around a month, I rescued him from someone I know as they weren't doing a very good job o looking after him. Since I have had him I bath him once a week and must him everyday. He has a small water bowl in his viv which is refilled everyday. I have never seen him drink from his bowl though. How do I help a beardie with dehydration.
He is my world now and want to make sure he is a happy healthy little guy

Nelbert91

Original Poster
Also I completely forgot to mention the little string hanging out of his vent was indeed a sperm plug. I got home from work last night to see Terry fast asleep and no plug hanging out his vent. I inspected his viv and there it was sat on his hammock :) :)

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Good to hear it was a sperm plug! To help with hydration simply give him a bath more around 2-3 times a week. Also most beardies don't drink from the water bowl so you can get rid of it if he doesn't use it, it just raises the humidity in the vivarium which is not really good for them as it can cause upper respiratory infections. Likewise, misting him doesn't really help either unless its on their vent (their butt) as they absorb water through their vent as a means of hydration, which is why warm baths work wonders.

Nelbert91

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your help. It's winter now in the uk so he is now slowly making his way into brumation. Ohh I will miss him ! I will definitely start giving him more baths per week. Can I just ask what would you say is an ideal weight for a male adult beardie?

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
That would depend on the length of your BD. For reference my guy is 19" long and 555 grams. He went into brumation about two months ago and hasn't lost more than 10 grams, he's also pooed once or twice. Before he goes completely under you should check to make sure he doesn't have parasites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom