Something on his mouth

ZeroTheDragon

Beardie name(s)
Zero
Hello everyone, we recently got our beardie Saturday. We noticed this little pink spot on his mouth but it went away and now it’s back? Does anyone know what it might be? He was eating fine this morning and this after noon (he’s four months old) and now he’s sitting on his basking spot with his eyes look swollen? He did eat 9small crickets today so he could just be full. But that doesn’t explain his eyes and mouth. He also appears like he could be shedding. We did move him from downstairs to upstairs tonight as well. The first picture is him Sunday evening, the second is him yesterday, and the third is him this evening. The forth photo is a full body photo. Any help would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_2296.jpeg
    IMG_2296.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2324.jpeg
    IMG_2324.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2349.jpeg
    IMG_2349.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2321.jpeg
    IMG_2321.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 59

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
Hmm, was there a certain food that you were feeding him around the same times the pink stuff appeared? It could possibly be dried up food of some sort. The swollen eyes could possibly be eye bulging which is in most cases normal but I am not an expert so take what all I gave said with a grain of salt

ZeroTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zero
Hmm, was there a certain food that you were feeding him around the same times the pink stuff appeared? It could possibly be dried up food of some sort. The swollen eyes could possibly be eye bulging which is in most cases normal but I am not an expert so take what all I gave said with a grain of salt
Unfortunately no he was not given any berries.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So the pinkish spot went away then came back?
Could he be shedding on the mouth?
Does he act as if it bothers him at all? It doesn't look too bad on the picture you posted. It could
be a scrape possibly.

Tracie

ZeroTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zero
Hello everyone, we recently got our beardie Saturday. We noticed this little pink spot on his mouth but it went away and now it’s back? Does anyone know what it might be? He was eating fine this morning and this after noon (he’s four months old) and now he’s sitting on his basking spot with his eyes look swollen? He did eat 9small crickets today so he could just be full. But that doesn’t explain his eyes and mouth. He also appears like he could be shedding. We did move him from downstairs to upstairs tonight as well. The first picture is him Sunday evening, the second is him yesterday, and the third is him this evening. The forth photo is a full body photo. Any help would be great!
UPDATE:
I scheduled Zeros vet appointment this morning and he was seen this afternoon. He weights 18oz, and after his exam appears to be fine. The tip of his tail may fall off as he can not really feel it. She did check the inside of his mouth and everything appears to be normal. The only thing to change is to have him get more natural UVB from the sun, feed him dubia roaches, and to STOP feeding him raw collard greens as those are harmful. They have to be cooked says the doctor. Overall, yeah hes on the skinny side, but hes eating and a growing boy! Hes now home and happy in his basking spot!:) Really thank you all for taking the time to give advice and to make sure he is okay:)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
UPDATE:
I scheduled Zeros vet appointment this morning and he was seen this afternoon. He weights 18oz, and after his exam appears to be fine. The tip of his tail may fall off as he can not really feel it. She did check the inside of his mouth and everything appears to be normal. The only thing to change is to have him get more natural UVB from the sun, feed him dubia roaches, and to STOP feeding him raw collard greens as those are harmful. They have to be cooked says the doctor. Overall, yeah hes on the skinny side, but hes eating and a growing boy! Hes now home and happy in his basking spot!:) Really thank you all for taking the time to give advice and to make sure he is okay:)
The raw collard greens is fine - I've been feeding them for 4 years - what was the reason for that?

ZeroTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zero
The raw collard greens is fine - I've been feeding them for 4 years - what was the reason for that
She told me that collard greens have oxalate which I think could be hard for him to digest since he is so young. She said that collard greens are better digested when they are cooked. It could have also been because we were giving him a D3 supplement (repti calcium) and did not want us to over do it. oxalate is supposedly safe in small amounts but in larges amounts they bind with calcium in the body and prevent it from being absorbed into the dragon's bloodstream.

ZeroTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zero
i would like to know too. it has been approved by my vet who specializes in reptiles.
She told me that collard greens have oxalate which I think could be hard for him to digest since he is so young. She said that collard greens are better digested when they are cooked. It could have also been because we were giving him a D3 supplement (repti calcium) and did not want us to over do it. oxalate is supposedly safe in small amounts but in larges amounts they bind with calcium in the body and prevent it from being absorbed into the dragon's bloodstream.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
interesting. it is my understanding that the issue with oxalates is that they are calcium binders but if you are providing the correct amount of D3, either through lighting or natural sunlight when outside, it should not be a problem. i have never heard of it making a difference if the greens are cooked or raw. i could be wrong though, i'm just going off of years of input from my vet. i'm going to tag tracie. she's a vet tech and a mod here in the forum. let's see what she says. @Drache613

ZeroTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zero
interesting. it is my understanding that the issue with oxalates is that they are calcium binders but if you are providing the correct amount of D3, either through lighting or natural sunlight when outside, it should not be a problem. i have never heard of it making a difference if the greens are cooked or raw. i could be wrong though, i'm just going off of years of input from my vet. i'm going to tag tracie. she's a vet tech and a mod here in the forum. let's see what she says. @Drache613
Awesome! Thank you! I would love more information! Yeah I thought they were fine and maybe it’s because we were giving him D3 that she didn’t want us to possibly harm him. Im not entirely sure. I was just asking all the questions I could think of.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
you're welcome! there's nothing wrong with continuing to ask questions. that's how we all learn. and even if we think we know, there's still room to learn more. and information does change over time. it's easy to say our dragon is alive because we know x, y, and z, but there still could be "q squared" that we don't know. we also learn that not all vets have the same level of info so there's nothing wrong with a second, third, or even fourth opinion. you keep asking your questions. it is a benefit to us all.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your UVB is what helps the dragon absorb the calcium- how many time per day / week are you giving the D3? and how are you giving it? insects or the salads? He should be getting the insects dusted 5 x per week once per feeding lightly coated -- hes a baby and needs the D3 til hes a year old then it will change - for a long time they thought kale was a calcium binder but did test on it and found that was false info - in fact they say kale is a better staple than the collard greens - as long as your UVB is properly placed and distanced he should be good - are the eyes still swollen? are you using a coil for a UVB?

ZeroTheDragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zero
Your UVB is what helps the dragon absorb the calcium- how many time per day / week are you giving the D3? and how are you giving it? insects or the salads? He should be getting the insects dusted 5 x per week once per feeding lightly coated -- hes a baby and needs the D3 til hes a year old then it will change - for a long time they thought kale was a calcium binder but did test on it and found that was false info - in fact they say kale is a better staple than the collard greens - as long as your UVB is properly placed and distanced he should be good - are the eyes still swollen? are you using a coil for a UVB?
We were giving him D3 supplements (3 times a week thats what the store was doing) but the vet told us it is really easy to over supplement your dragons. She suggested gut loading the insects and then dusting his food. (salad) with crushed up juvenile bearded dragon supplement. No his little eyes are not still swollen, and as for his UVB we have the arcadia reptile pro T5 12% UVB and it is sitting about 18 inches away from where he basks. The top of his tank is also a mesh lid!:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom