someone please some advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grboxa

I recently purchased the rzilla corner ramp basking cave, I dont use it for a Bearded dragon, but it is mainly used for beardies so I posted here. Has anyone noticed a lingering smell after even rinsing with hot water/vinegar? with this product?. Im extremely worried now because of some horror stories some people are telling me, anyoe know if this is toxic towards smaller reptiles?.

Thank you very much to whoever takes the time to read and give any insight, greatly appreciated.

beardieluv

Sub-Adult Member
If it were me, I would throw it out immediately. Go with your gut on this one. If you've heard horror stories and it has an offending smell, then it probably isn't safe for your animal :/ Just my opinion.

grboxa

Original Poster
Sorry, I should of clarified, I didnt hear horror stories about this particular product, just in cases where some materials release fumes when under exposure to heat and can be toxic. Thats why Im kind of worried but at the same time doubtful and just looking for any input, isnt Rzilla a reputable brand?, dont beardies bask under UV and HEAT, and this is a basking cave mainly designed for beardies...so it will be exposed to heat. Just dosent make sense why they would have any harmful chemicals. Im just hoping its a coat finish smell thats non toxic. Regardless im going to call them tomorrow. Thank you for posting nonetheless :)

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
I have good luck with zilla products. When i get something new i wash in really hot water and soap then let it soak in watered down bleach overnight, then hand wash it again.
That seems to get rid of smells most the time if it does not i trash it.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Some of the Zilla products are ok to good. The Zilla products we suggest not be used is their uvb tubes and compact/coil uvbs. Zilla's uvb products cause problems for beardies (that I know of, tho it could cause problems with other reptiles). I haven't used any Zilla products so I can't say but from the way they make their uvb tubes it wouldn't surprise me that they make other products that are harmful, whether they realize it or not.

grboxa

Original Poster
thank you all for your input, I emailed them about this and this is what they said.

It is poured resin that is painted with an acrylic base paint. It is all non-toxic. Depending on how recently it was made, it may still have the resin odor. It eventually dissipates. Usually they are sitting around a long time in a warehouse and the odor dissipates during that time.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom