So I want to put Izzy up for sale..

Status
Not open for further replies.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I have a weird suggestion but this is what I do.

My 9 1/2 month old will eat greens BUT it must have calcium on it for him to do so. If I offer without calcium he looks the other way like a pompous *****. He used to be good about eating them plain, but now he won't touch them till there's a little bit of white coating. As soon as calcium is on it he goes crazy for it.
I'm unsure if Izzy loves her calcium as much as Richter does, but I thought I'd at least mention it.

zye1984

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She will spit out the green if i try to shove some in there when she's eating bugs! XD No joke!

Rapashy Grub Pie/Veggie Burger? o-o I must've missed that. I'll be sure to get those! I tried grilled chicken for the heck of it and it was the same with anything else; closing her eyes and getting away.

While gut loading is fine, I'm still trying to get away from bugs for the most part.. I need to get some more hornworms, but MAN those are poop machines, and only eat their special food or poisonous tomato greens.

kingofnobbys":1c1qpwt7 said:
Have you tried slipping a bit of green into his mouth when he chewing an insect?
. This often works and they either wise up to that or start accepting the greens , if you have to hand feed the greens , then what's the big deal ? just do it at least this way she is getting some greens.

Of cause if you use the high calcium greens to gutload the insects (rather than bottled junk) he'll get the greens in disguise in his bugs.

Another alternative ( I think I've suggested this to you already ) is to give Repashi VeggieBurger or a mix of Repashi VeggieBurger and GrubPie and slowly incorporate shredded greens in the mix and slowly increase the proportion of VeggieBurger to GrubPie and hand feed this.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
zye1984":x7869ftl said:
She will spit out the green if i try to shove some in there when she's eating bugs! XD No joke!
<<<< she's not stupid them , can't trick her .

Rapashy Grub Pie/Veggie Burger? o-o I must've missed that. I'll be sure to get those! I tried grilled chicken for the heck of it and it was the same with anything else; closing her eyes and getting away.
<<<< lean boiled chicken mince is better , I have given it to skinks who liked it. problem is chicken is high phos., lo Ca
Ca/P = 11/90
Protein/Fat = 20.9/8.3
... see http://slism.com/calorie/111230/

While gut loading is fine, I'm still trying to get away from bugs for the most part.. I need to get some more hornworms, but MAN those are poop machines, and only eat their special food or poisonous tomato greens.
<<<< so are silkworms especially when getting big , over 1.5 inch , but worth it.
Just need to find foods she likes which are nutritious giving her the fats, proteins, calcium and vits and minerals she needs and sticking with them .
You might find she likes the REPASHI foods , probably more expensive than bugs to provide to her though.
I think RAPASHI FOODS are much better options than "BITES" or pellets for a beardie.

zye1984

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
haha, yeah she's definitely not too dumb! I always seem to get pets that turn out to be too smart/independent for me! Xo The only things that have really tricked her was those mechanical bugs called HexBugs that i wanted to use to have here exercise more, but i'm not sure how to implement that well. (i'm thinking about getting a clear, fillable plastic sphere and put a bug in there and use it as a pool toy)

The chicken was just to see if she'd even try it, really. =)

Sorry i'm not replying like you are with it in sections and quotes, I'm not too versed in that sorta stuff. I couldn't even get the image links to work earlier!

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
zye1984":2e5nphgq said:
haha, yeah she's definitely not too dumb! I always seem to get pets that turn out to be too smart/independent for me! Xo The only things that have really tricked her was those mechanical bugs called HexBugs that i wanted to use to have here exercise more, but i'm not sure how to implement that well. (i'm thinking about getting a clear, fillable plastic sphere and put a bug in there and use it as a pool toy)

The chicken was just to see if she'd even try it, really. =)

Sorry i'm not replying like you are with it in sections and quotes, I'm not too versed in that sorta stuff. I couldn't even get the image links to work earlier!

Haha, I seem to always get the opposite of that :lol: :lol: :lol: ! Loki won't eat his greens unless I hand feed him, because otherwise he can't seem to find them, even though they are in his bowl!

zye1984

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
JessPets":2kux0b9u said:
Haha, I seem to always get the opposite of that :lol: :lol: :lol: ! Loki won't eat his greens unless I hand feed him, because otherwise he can't seem to find them, even though they are in his bowl!

Hah, Izzy definitely sees it; she stares at it for a moment then ignores it. The only dumb thing she does is poke her face on the glass to try to get out sometimes, which is normal really.

I hope she decides to eat the Repashy stuff I just ordered, I got 31 bucks worth of their products..

zye1984

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I got the Repashy stuff. She won't eat that either.

I'm done.

She'll be gone by next week.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
zye1984":rhk3ymsh said:

I'm done.

They can be stubborn little rascals for sure. Wait her out, no more bugs till she eats some veggies. I know it going to be hard but, she WILL come around in time. Please don't give up on her!

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
zye1984":s80kce33 said:

I'm done.

I'm sorry to hear that. By now I have the feeling that nothing we say or do can change your mind, so all I can say is I hope you find her a good loving home

zye1984

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gormagon":2pfcgpms said:
They can be stubborn little rascals for sure. Wait her out, no more bugs till she eats some veggies. I know it going to be hard but, she WILL come around in time. Please don't give up on her!

No. I can not give her any bugs for months and all she'll do is stay cool so she won't have to eat. I'm done.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
zye1984":lxbwiwzi said:
Gormagon":lxbwiwzi said:

No. I can not give her any bugs for months and all she'll do is stay cool so she won't have to eat. I'm done.
I sent you a pm.

zye1984

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just for everyone's awareness, gormagon convinced me to keep her a couple weeks ago..

I have also come to a conclusion after trying again with the Repashy stuff in worm shape with no luck: there has to be a sensory reason as to how/why she can differentiate between what is a bug/alive and what's not, something that we humans can't see or sense. At least, not as easily.

So what could it be?

It's probably not heat, because I can give her something warm with no response.
It could possibly be UV light reflection, as she does have a reaction towards neon things and pineapple. (Pineapple actually glows quite a bit under a black light! She just won't eat it because it doesn't stick to her tongue/unstick to whatever it's on very easily)
It's not movement only cuz I was squirming that food I mentioned and she never took a bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom