So... butterworms, any opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

armando's_dad

Hatchling Member
Awhile back, I introduced butterworms to Armando's diet. Previously, he enjoyed Hornworms and Dubias (of which I have a nice colony now), with the occasional phoenix worm feast. He's never really liked silkies, and as soon as I could I stopped feeding crickets... nasty little beasts they are...

He's been getting better at eating his greens, now that he's approaching 1 year old.

So, here's the issue-

Since I introduced him to butterworms, he's slowly but surely stopped eating his other feeders... Still eats his salad about as much as before (meaning he gets fresh salad every day and takes at least a few bites. Occasionally he'll devour most of his dish).

Any opinions out there on how healthy/unhealthy butterworms are? I know from the Beautiful Dragons nutrition chart that they're rated "feed occasionally", but there's no other commentary on the pros and cons of butterworms.

I'm still giving him dubias, and if I don't feed him butterworms for a couple of days, he'll usually eat a few of them, but I've also had some grow to maturity in his cage recently. (Found an adult male dubia hiding in his tree the other day, which kinda freaked me out actually.)

Thanks for your insights!

patrickb

Juvie Member
Butterworms are quite high in fat, thus the recommendation on Beautiful Dragons nutrition chart. Sounds like he is addicted though, so you may have to starve him for a few days to get him to start eating the dubia consistently.

LJean

Extreme Poster
I asked about butterworms recently. I was told they are somewhat fatty. They can be used as a staple along with another feeder. (not to feed 50 of them a day) ;) I hope this helps.

armando's_dad

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! I figured they must have something wrong with them, since he likes them so much! :lol:

Yeah, it'll be time for a little dieting until he decides that dubias are tasty again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom