Smelly Liquid Squeezed Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
misaelc01":2clq9pix said:
No. It was a brown-yellow liquid. I thought it was pee until I found out they don’t pee. He eats mostly dried crickets and occasionally mealworms. He stuck his belly out when he did this.

Well for a start : his diet is horrible.

" mostly dried crickets and mealworms "....

If you can't get live insects where you are , convert over to Repashi BUGPIE for his protein source , but live insects once per day are going to be better :
Choose from -
BSF lavae
silkworms (should be able to handle large size)
crickets , roaches, locusts.... dusted and gutloaded with calcium rich greens

NO MORE mealworms (or superworms) for him for now , even as treats til he gets rid of the impaction.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Was it a large amount of liquid ? If so I doubt it's impaction. Still would be good to make changes to her diet as mentioned including good greens like turnip, mustard, collard kale and veg. like squash, green bean, and cantaloupe is good too.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, she is likely impacted. I would also recommend, along with the changes in
foods, a probiotic to help settle her tummy & move things through more efficiently, too.
How is she doing tonight?

Tracie

misaelc01

Original Poster
It wasn’t a large amount of liquid. Could I get a second verification that he is actually a she? I’ve had him for 2 years now thinking it was a male.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
In her condition she should be given a warm soak, but of course stay with her the entire time. To give her a short soak, get a plastic tupperware type container that'a a little longer than she is. Fill it with about 2" of warm water. You can do this in her tank or in the bathtub. The warm water can induce a beardie to expel their waste or try to push out any eggs.

It may be impaction [ fecal matter that is stuck ] but has she ever had poo this color before ?

misaelc01

Original Poster
She has never done this(at least not that I’ve seen). Do I just put her in warm water or run it over her for the bath? She drunk water last night btw. And again, can I get a second opinion on the sex of my beardie? I thought it was a male for almost 2 years.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good that she drank last night. A soak is just that, set her in the water like I said. You don't run the water over her though. What happens with a a warm soak is that it often stimulates them to poo or if there are eggs that burst she would also push to get them out. If she DOES push something out in the water take a pic of it and just put her back in the tank.
Also, take 3-4 more pics of her rear end with her tail up.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
She's definitely a female, no hemipenes at all, very clearly a female in the second photo, as AHBD confirmed.

I have to agree that this is most likely a horrible impaction from feeding her freeze-dried insects. That's why she's so bloated, she was trying to "strain" to go in that photo.

You absolutely need to stop feeding her ANY freeze-dried insects at all, and especially not freeze-dried mealworms. Living mealworms cause horrible impactions, so if you feed her freeze-dried mealworms or crickets this is what usually happens.

Here's the thing: Bearded Dragons in general do not "drink" water. There is not much, if any standing water in their natural environment (Australian Desert), and they get most if not all of their daily hydration from their LIVE Insects and FRESH greens/veggies. That's it.

Freeze-dried insects have ALL of the moisture removed, so you're not only depriving her of any hydration from her insects at all, but also depriving her of all of the essential vitamins and minerals, nutrition in general that she needs to eat every day. So please, please stop feeding her ANY freeze-dried insects, otherwise this is going to continue to happen over and over again. And it's extremely unhealthy for her anyway, as those dried insects are seriously, no joke, like feeding her very hard cardboard.

Being an adult she should be eating a large salad every day made up of only FRESH greens and veggies, no "dried" veggies/greens, or "commercial" bags of dried greens. The good news is that fresh greens and veggies are very cheap, and since they have to be FRESH to provide her with her daily hydration, you can buy a massively large bag of Collard Greens, Turnip Greens, and Mustard Greens at any Walmart, called "Greens Trio" for $2.78. It's huge. In addition to those 3 greens, other FRESH greens that are appropriate for Beardies include Endive, Escarole, Bok Choy, Pak Choy, Arugula/Rocket, Swiss Chard, and Dandelion Greens. AVOID ANY KALE OR SPINACH, IT PREVENTS THEM FROM ABSORBING ANY CALCIUM...

So she needs a nice large, fresh salad every morning, and I'm a believer in still offering LIVE insect protein to my adult Dragons every day, so you need to choose a live "staple" feeder insect that is appropriate for Dragons, which include either Crickets, Roaches (several varieties), Silkworms, or Phoenix Worms/BSFL. She'll most likely go crazy for some nice, juicy, LIVE insects. I order 1,000 size Large BSFL/Phoenix Worms from www.dubiaroaches.com each month for $23 shipped. Excellent live feeder staple insects, and they are FULL of water, so if you completely stop feeding her any freeze-dried insects and no mealworms at all, and start feeding her a nice, large, FRESH salad every day and then also offer her some live BSFL or other appropriate staple live insect, she'll stay hydrated and she'll be much, much healthier and live a much longer life.

As for the current impaction, you need to buy a jar of Prune Baby Food, a can of plain, raw Pumpkin, and you'll need either an oral syringe or an eye dropper. If you empty the jar of Prune Baby Food into a microwave-safe container, then add 3 tablespoons of the plain, raw, canned pumpkin, mix it up very, very well, then add enough water to it that it can be used in the syringe or eye dropper (Unflavored Pedialyte is a much better choice at this point, as she is no doubt very dehydrated), then mix it up very well again. Then microwave it for 30 seconds, mix it up really well again, then another 30 seconds. Mix again very well, fill the syringe or eye dropper, then test it on your wrist like a baby bottle (you want it warm, not hot). Then try dripping it on her snout, usually they like it and will lick it right off. Continue doing this as long as she'll keep licking it off, ideally you want to get at least 3ml/cc in her. Then put her back under her lights on her basking spot/platform for an hour or two, then you can try a warm bath, but most likely it will take at least one more laxative slurry feeding and another bath for her to start passing the impaction. Just keep feeding her the laxative slurry (you can do this 3 times a day), letting her digest it under her lights, and then give another warm bath.

As far as the bath goes, you can do it right in your bathtub, you want the water pretty warm since she's impacted, but not hot. You only want the warm water to go up to her shoulders. Put her in the water, and then try to get her to swim, because the more she moves her back legs in the warm water, the more likely she'll have a bowel movement. You can do this by passively moving her through the water, usually they just take off (they are pretty good swimmers). If she doesn't have a bowel movement within 15-20 minutes maximum then take her out, and try again in a few hours. She obviously has to go, as she was definitely straining on the carpeting, so the warm water bath alone might start the process, but keep in mind that if she quickly has a small bowel movement, she's probably not passed all of the impaction, and this will continue for another day or two until it's all out. The key is getting as much water/pedialyte in her through her mouth, along with the natural laxative slurry.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I missed that she's eating DRIED crickets. That could very likely cause impaction. Go ahead + be sure to offer any of these ...baby food squash, sweet potato, canned pumpkin, applesauce to help soften the poo, along with extra water and the Pedialyte Ellen mentioned if you can get it .

A better diet would be very beneficial as Ellen mentioned, spinach is a no no but kale is fine, actually one of the best. That was misinformation that it contains a lot of oxalates.

misaelc01

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your help. I’ll get the prune baby food ,pumpkin, and collard greens as soon as I can.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
She should be fine once she passes the impaction, just please make sure to stop all of the freeze-dried insects, they shouldn't even be selling those things, they have no nutritional value or hydration value at all (it's all sucked out purposely) and they basically just "fill them up" but cause serious nutritional deficiencies, and obviously bowel impactions. You'll be improving her overall health tremendously by completely stopping the dead, cardboard bugs and feeding her live ones, she'll be such a happier girl!

Sorry that you thought she was a boy, that actually happens a lot, usually because a pet shop employee has no idea how to sex them. I know that must be a bit weird, getting used to calling your dragon "she" and "her", lol. But there's no doubt she's a girl...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom