Small vent--why buy any animal if no money for a vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
SoleSky-you bring up a good point. Always be prepared for the worst because anything can happen. This doesn't just apply to vet bills. Often animals go to the wayside because people lose their jobs-especially in this economy. We have to be prepared to take care of ourselves, and our pets should we choose to have them. No matter what, they are our responsibility-even if we lose our jobs. Always good to have a reserve for these cases.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
I am not talking about those who suddenly have hit hard times-not talking about just on this website either). I am referring to those who have little money (they say so themselves), decide to get a beardie but then cant take a sick one to the vet. My point was that one should research totally before buying any pet.

RowenJade

Juvie Member
I totally agree with this thread. I myself don't even have beardies anymore.

I used to make 600+ a week and didn't have rent or really any bills to pay when I first got my beardies. Before I first got them I spent hours on this website and building cages and put ALOT of money into the cages and starting a dubia colony (which is now self sustaining). Then when they both came home I spent hundreds getting them to be parasite free between the visits, fecals, meds, herbal supplements etc.

Recently I found out I may be losing my place to stay and I've decided not to wait around and see if that happens. I'm moving to GA in the break from fall semester and starting spring semester in Atlanta. There is absolutely NO way I can afford 2k for the Uhaul down there just to bring the cages. I'm already driving a van down there that gets 8 mpg and that's going to be insanely expensive and transporting my queen bed is going to take up most of the space.

Thinking in advance I put my beardie up on here and found a great new home for the first, and now a great home for the second. While I am very sad I had to do this and originally wanted to back out I know I'm doing this for the good of the animals and that's all that matters.

It really seems especially as of late we have people that ask for advice and get defensive when advice is given, don't want to get their animal treated or want to treat improperly, and don't have money in general to take care of their dragons. Why can't we just get over our selfish human nature and just do what is best for the animals? It may be hard but responsibility is never fun.

TASTIGER

Extreme Poster
i totally agree with this!! iv seen so many horses that are in horrible condition and the owners still ride them! and when I try to confront them they say that they dont have the money to take care of them properly and that its just a horse :banghead: BOTTOM LINE dont buy the pet if you dont have the money to provide food,water,shelter,and vet care!

RowenJade

Juvie Member
Aww! Horses are so cute and we don't have many where I live in NJ. I've seen some terribly neglected ones on animal planet tho. It always brings tears to my eyes and pisses me off at people's ignorance. Even the ASPCA would be a much more suitable home than them suffering and dying at their ranch...and then they get caught with the well deserved animal cruelty charges and fines! Hopefully one day people will learn from these examples.:/

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
PudgysMom":3ibloqlb said:
SoleSky-you bring up a good point. Always be prepared for the worst because anything can happen. This doesn't just apply to vet bills. Often animals go to the wayside because people lose their jobs-especially in this economy. We have to be prepared to take care of ourselves, and our pets should we choose to have them. No matter what, they are our responsibility-even if we lose our jobs. Always good to have a reserve for these cases.

Agreed, I do have a savings account in case anything goes wrong. I mean its not specifically for the vet but it is available for emergencies if that was one of them. I hope to be a veterinarian as I continue my schooling and I know if somebody does not have money for an appointment I would be sure to help them out in anyway possible. The animal should always come first, that's the reason I want to be a vet. I'm sure thats how most vets feel. Bearded dragon or dog they all have feelings just the same as we do.

MissT

BD.org Addict
RowenJade":1t2enva4 said:
Aww! Horses are so cute and we don't have many where I live in NJ. I've seen some terribly neglected ones on animal planet tho. It always brings tears to my eyes and pisses me off at people's ignorance. Even the ASPCA would be a much more suitable home than them suffering and dying at their ranch...and then they get caught with the well deserved animal cruelty charges and fines! Hopefully one day people will learn from these examples.:/

At least the ASPCA do something over there and the owners are given charges and fines. My sister works for a sanctuary and recently they were called in to help the big animal protection people (which I cannot name but people could probably guess) with the rescue of 80+ horses and ponies. There were dozens of dead animals all around the mucy fields. The big animal protection people took the 10 best looking out of the lot. My sisters sanctuary took 30 (despite having no room), other sanctuaries came and took as many as they could. The big company told my sisters sanctuary they would be going back the following day to get the rest but needed help with transporting. There were 26 horses left at that point. 'Oddly', a huge horse lorry arrived at the scene, from that big company (it was the first time that these *insert appropriate word here* hadnt brought a TV crew with them!!) very early the following morning. All 26 horses were loaded on to it. An identical lorry was later spotted going in the side entrance at the slaughter house.... What I found most strange was that that Big rescue centre had known the situation of these animals for 6 weeks, yet they did nothing until the weekend that the slaughterhouse opened for horses (only about once every 3-4 months).

This big rescue centre did not press any charges because 'the owner was unfit' and was 'sorry' for what he had done. In other words - they were able to make a quick buck to fund their fancy cars and houses so who cares what he did..... And people actually give money to this 'charity'!

danab

Hatchling Member
I think a big part of this problem is that folks don't realize that bearded dragons can't live off the same sort of money that you would need for a dog or a cat. They are not low maintenance animals. With a dog or cat or even some birds, you pay a nice sum of money at first, then care is relatively inexpensive after that unless serious health problems occur. You can buy huge bags of dog, cat and bird food relatively cheap and you don't have to worry about keeping your bags of food alive, gutloading, adding extra nutrients etc.

I feel pet stores are a big factor in this issue. An average person does not research things online or on forums like these before buying a new pet. They trust the pet stores and their employees to provide them with accurate information and caresheets. I do a lot of shoppng in pet stores and not once have I even been told what the costs would be, nor do I hear them tell any other customers that. When you buy an expensive car, you expect to pay premium maintenance costs. Bearded dragons themselves are pretty cheap to buy, so the normal shopper will have no idea what the actual costs for maintenance and vet visits will be.

I started with one beardie, made sure I could take care of it and did some serious thinking about the cost for feeding, lights and care beyond the initial start-up costs before I took in any more rescues. I bought used cages and made sure I could raise enough feeders on my own to offset vet costs and and use my skills from many years of laboratory work to do my own fecal screens. I do think herp vets charge ridicuous amounts of money for the same services they provide to dogs and cats but I think that is because they know other vets won't work with herps and they can charge a premium. I paid over $70 for just an in house fecal from one vet and it actually made me mad because they quoted me $39 over the phone.

I don't flame anyone for saying they can't afford a vet because you don't know what their circumstances are and herp vets are indeed more expensive than you would expect. I do dislike posts from folks saying they are too broke to feed their beardies, then they argue about keeping feeders or raising their own, and then later you see they are looking to get even more pets. That makes me crazy!

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
I too believe pet stores play a huge roll in this. They act as though a bearded dragon is a "beginner" reptile. I will tell you, I've never had any experience with reptiles before I got one and they are tough! Bearded dragons, I feel, are more difficult than beginner. You must account for lighting, temps, UVB, proper food, substrate, hydration, cleaning, parasites, MBD. The list can go on. I couldn't imagine a kid younger than 16 having the maturity to take care of such a, how do I put this... Delicate?.. animal. There is a lot that could and has gone wrong. Without a ton of time and dedication that beardies need and deserve they just wouldn't be healthy- it takes a lot. Even my boyfriend says that I am way too good to my beardie and that I spoil him but honestly it's what he needs to be healthy and thriving. Having a reptile, or any animal, in captivity is a privilege that many times is overlooked. If we're going to bring them into our homes and families then they should be treated as just that. -rant over... for now :)

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
I have to admit I can not hold onto money to save my life. BUT I have a vet that lets me prepay my account. I pay the bills then order or pickup what I need for the animals, then buy what I need for the kids, check if the car is ok, then let at. At tax time each year we are lucky to get something back, this year I plan to get a bigger viv and at least 6 spare UVB bulbs. All it takes to have pets, ANY pet, is planning and dedication. I wish more people would be like us. I also wish more vets would allow you to prepay your accounts. I do not see any reason not to.

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
I am glad to see people can have discussions like this on this forum. On any other forum I am on this could really flame some people up. I think the problem is many people think reptiles are disposeable pets they do not look at them as they would their dog or cat. This is especially true because some reptiles are so inexpensive many under $50. I agree with kids being under 16 (not always) many parents buy these animals for their children so the attachment is not the same and when they face a $60 fee just to walk through the door many times they don't go. People look at me like I am insane whe they hear the hundreds of dollars a month I shell out just to feed my reptiles.

Fuzzyviper

Hatchling Member
I always try to tell people the general cost of one of our reptiles in store before they buy it and the general size of the animal/tank they are going to have to get. I don't include vet visits in the price but most people will change their minds once I tell them I spent a little over $200 on my basic beardie setup. A lot of people come in wanting a cheap pet and think reptiles will be cheap, need only tiny cages, and don't need to go to the vet. Most people will change their mind or go home with only a caresheet once I explain everything needed.

I've never understood people that are unwilling to take their animals to a vet because they can't afford it. If an animal is sick or injured enough that you're contemplating a vet visit, it probably needs to go. I had a tree frog a couple years back that I paid maybe $10 for. I spent over $70 taking her to the vet because she had an obvious eye injury. She had punctured her cornea and had to get a special eye drop put in for examination, put under a special light to see the problem, and had to get prescription eye drops. I could never even handle this frog (She was a viewing only pet) and she required daily care while she recovered but I had accepted responsibility for her once I bought her and couldn't imagine leaving her in there to suffer. She would have developed an infection and died had I said "She's just a frog, she'll be fine." She was never a friendly frog but animals, even reptiles, know when you are helping them.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
there are some posts that get on my nerves, but I choose to ignore them. You can't help people who won't help themselves and you can't talk to someone who won't listen. You could talk until your blue in the face, but it won't make a difference. People have to choose it. If people don't get what they want, their either change, or they won't. But you can't really make people change.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
SoleSky":ufu8928u said:
I too believe pet stores play a huge roll in this. They act as though a bearded dragon is a "beginner" reptile. I will tell you, I've never had any experience with reptiles before I got one and they are tough! Bearded dragons, I feel, are more difficult than beginner.

Well for a reptile or exotic, they are one of the lowest maintenance ones. Compared to things like iguanas (who need an enclosure the size of a room) or a jungle lizard which needs very high humidity, beardies are pretty easy going. People don't realize that they're easy FOR AN EXOTIC. They think easy like cat (plop down food, pet every now and then, warm body by your leg, clean litter).

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
randommonks":9ct7tzoz said:
SoleSky":9ct7tzoz said:
I too believe pet stores play a huge roll in this. They act as though a bearded dragon is a "beginner" reptile. I will tell you, I've never had any experience with reptiles before I got one and they are tough! Bearded dragons, I feel, are more difficult than beginner.

Well for a reptile or exotic, they are one of the lowest maintenance ones. Compared to things like iguanas (who need an enclosure the size of a room) or a jungle lizard which needs very high humidity, beardies are pretty easy going. People don't realize that they're easy FOR AN EXOTIC. They think easy like cat (plop down food, pet every now and then, warm body by your leg, clean litter).

EXACTLY. There is a learning curve to exotics, and bds would be one of the easier reptiles. Most reptiles are high strung, low stress tolerance, not tame, have more complex needs, etc. Personally I don't think pet stores should be allowed to sell exotics. If general care was common knowledge maybe it would be different, but it's not. It shouldn't be easier to buy an animal then to find out how to take care of it. What really makes me angry is when they have really advanced reptiles. I've told this a billion times probably, but i've seen hatchling caimans (the crocs) in a pet store before. The employee was trying to tell the mother of an 8 year old that it was a good pet for kids. :shock: I marched right up to her and informed her she was getting a "small" crocodile, and should really check out the zoo to see their full grown size first. She made her son put it down and rushed out of the store, then I chewed out the employee.

I've had reptiles since I was a kid, and started off with more difficult animals, so their a cinch to me. I consider bds to be lower maintenance than a dog. I don't have to train it, take it for daily walks, and out a bunch a times a day to go to bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom