Small Appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small question regarding my dragon's eating habits.

First off: the basics. I don't know exactly how old Jabberwock is, because I got him from a pet store (no snark - my local PetSmart is actually really cool, with a knowledgeable and friendly staff; they might be wrong about something once in a while, but they're clearly trying their best). He lives in a pretty big tank and has a 100w light, a Reptisun Desert tube in a Zilla fixture, and two ceramic heat emitters (100w and 75w). The hot side of his tank is about 95 degrees F. I'm having a hard time getting the temperature up and I'm beginning to think that it's actually my thermometer that sucks... but that's a topic for another post. Anyway, he mostly seems happy (pale belly) and likes to bask either on his driftwood or on top of his hide.

Jabberwock is active and inquisitive. He doesn't love being picked up out of his viv, but once I've got him he's happy to run about my arms or investigate the dining room table while I get work done.

I say all this because it seems like Jabs is healthy, but doesn't eat much compared to other bearded dragons on the board. I feed him every other day, as many gut-loaded crickets as he wants to eat in one sitting. Sometimes I'll throw in a few mealworms for a treat. The thing is, that's usually only 15to 30 crickets or so, plus some salad. I hear stories about beardies eating 50 to 75 crickets a day and I worry that I'm starving the little guy!

Am I stressing out for nothing or is something wrong? Am I comparing Jabberwock to dragons of a different age group? Do I need to change my feeding schedule, investigate my husbandry, or schedule a vet trip?

Thanks in advance for your help.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
My beardie is 7 months and should be eating like a horse from what ive read (especially since she is still young). however, the most she will eat a day on average is about 20-30 crickets, and a few calci worms (and the occasional wax moth larvae treat- i have to hold back from giving her too many when she follows me as i walk away with the tub :( ). She's never been a great eater but she has a nice round belly (not too fat) and is growing well. i think it just depends on the beardie so i wouldn't worry. If they wanted more they would certainly eat more. Hope this helps :D How big is your beardie- i know you don't know age but have you got an approximation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom